Thursday, October 4, 2007

Dating Game

Good Evening Ladies & Gentlemen,

Well, the concert at Club Manhattan was cancelled last night...but I didn't really feel like going anyway, so be careful what you wish for, kids. I'm just kidding. It would have been a great show. So instead of watching a hip-hop show at a bar that I've been told is horrible, I went home and watched a movie. (Gasp of surprise) What movie you ask? How about "Bug" starring Ashley Judd, Michael Shannon, and Harry Connick jr, from the director of "The Exorcist" William Friedkin. Oh yeah!!! It was going to be a horror show night. The show starts with a helicopter shot leading you right into a motel parking lot, where Ashley Judd's having a smoke and getting phone calls from a stranger. Oh yeah!!! This is going to be good. Motel, Ashley Judd, smoking, late night booty calls, hot terror is about to ensue. Enter the lesbian friends, nice. Abusive ex-husband (Connick) getting out of jail, okay. Is that crack they're smoking? You bet it is. Boxes of wine and vodka? Lines of coke? Oooh, excessive drug use. This is going to be good. Mysterious quiet stranger spends the night (on the floor), stares down ex-husband the next morning, repaid by bow chicka bow wow (not as hot as you would think), aaaaah yeah. What's the ex going to think? What's he going to do? Whatever happened to those lesbians? The anticipation is killing me...because it has taken over an hour to set up what I've summarized in a paragraph.

What happens, you ask? Do you really want to know? What if I told you that you didn't? Would that just entice you more? Am I using reverse psychology on you to get you to see this movie? All these questions are probably running through your head right now, right? No? Okay then I'm going to save you two drawn-out hours of your life and tell you that this is NOT a horror movie. William Friedkin and the marketing department at the studio had me fooled. Even though I did a GREAT job of setting it up as your standard horror movie, it turns into a movie about paranoid schizophrenia. Though Ashley Judd & Michael Shannon do a great job of acting and fooling me into thinking something horrific is going to happen, it's not what I was expecting. Partly my fault, of course. If you like to see great actors go schizo, this is probably a movie that you'd like, but I've seen enough of this in real life (drugs leading to schizophrenia...and I'm not going to ruin the ending for you, but you watch the news). I still give it three stars because it was well done...but yeah, not a horror movie.

To get the final image of the movie out of my head, I decided to watch another movie immediately after. It had to be one that I knew I would like, so "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer" it was. Jessica Alba in spandex...and you know that even though it's PG, she has to be implied naked. I really liked the first movie. This movie was even better, though they obviously overdramatized and added unnecessary conflicts and all that usual stuff. I'm still not sure if the person playing Silver Surfer was really there or CGI...but Morpheus, er Laurence Fishburne had a great voice for him. Only one question though, how could you trust somebody named Doctor Doom? Seriously. You deserve to be in trouble. "So, you're the guy taking my daughter to prom? What did you say your name was again?" "Ricky. Ricky Daterape." "Okay...well, I'm going to give you until the count of five (reaches for the 9mm at his side) to get the hell outta my house..." Come on, it's only common sense. What's in a name? Everything. Anyway, movie was pretty good for a superhero flick...and Jessica Alba is really really talented, a very well-rounded actress.

Justin Timberlake - Okay, I have Justin's high-pitched voice stuck in my head. I listened to the new 50 cent album on the way here...and the last track was "Ayo Technology" with him, 50, & Timbaland (voiced as a Transformer as usual). It's not any of the three's best song ever made by any means...but it's stuck there. So, I'm not sure if I'm a Justin fan. Sure, he was in a boy band...but so was Marky Mark and Nick Lachey...and I think they're all right. I even think Marky Mark is a great actor in the right pretense. I've seen Justin in a few movies like "Alpha Dog", "Edison Foce", and "Black Snake Moan" and he was pretty good. His music is really hit or miss for me though. I love some...and can't stand others. I liked a few tracks on the "Justified" album like "Like I Love You" and "Rock Your Body" and collaboration with Snoop Dogg and other hip-hop artists tend to sound pretty good to me...but "Cry Me A River", "Bringing Sexy Back", and other really big hits for him, have no effect on me except when I'm watching girls shake their hindquarters to it. Do I dislike Justin? Not at all. He got with Britney and Cameron Diaz back when they were hot. He's a great dancer (like Michael Jackson without the Jesus Juice) and seems like a nice guy. I don't know. Why am I even thinking about this? I'm probably just looking for distraction from work again. It happens a lot. Anyway, feel free to tell me what you think about him. Ladies, I'm sure it involves how hot and talented he is (like Jessica Alba). Guys, I'm sure it's that he looks like a gay or something. No biggie. We're all entitled to our opinion, it's just I can't seem to decide on mine. Alright, this topic is over...for now.

NBA Live 2008 - I finally got to play a little this morning. The game is okay. It's not the greatest. Graphically, it's really life-like and has smooth movement for the most part. The controls are what bother me. In past versions, if you hit the pass button, you pass immediately. This time it has a second delay or something...and I may have just not mastered all the controls...but a lot of the shots look really awkward and horrible...and take a long time to execute, especially in the post. Maybe I just need a few more games under my belt. Madden 2008 is kind of the same way...and it bugs me a bit...but I guess it's supposed to be more realistic or something with the football snap then popping a jump shot. That's instantaneous. The soundtrack is pretty good though. There's even a hip-hop version of Britney Spears' classic "Toxic" that I laughed at for a while...but yeah, it was pretty good. It sounded like Ol' Dirty Bastard singing in the background at times...but the R&B guy singing the lyrics did okay. Sorry, no names. I didn't check on the artists.

Speaking of ODB, the Wu Tang Clan is apparently covering the Beatles track "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" with George Harrison's son, Dhani playing guitar. Some people are outraged at this...and I can understand it. However, I'm all for it. The RZA, the GZA, M-E-T-H-O-D Man, and the rest of them are fellow Kung Fu addicts and know how to make great music. If they have the blessings of the original artists (with monetary lubrication, I'm sure) then I say let them do as they wish. WU TANG FOREVER!!! I know that as soon as I go home, I'm going to check out the track on their MySpace page. Here's their official website too, if you'd like.

Dating - Okay, so I'm thinking about trying to date again...and not just get 'hooked up' by friends or ask out coworkers...but I'm not exactly the most forward person out there. It has been suggested to me that Coffee Shops are the way to go by several friends, but I'm not a coffee drinker (I do like the caramel apple ciders though during the winter time) and I have a bit of intelligence...but I'm not a literary nerd by any means. Basically, I see it going down like this. I sip my cider with sizzurp while reading a book (probably not "Fart Proudly") or maybe typing away...because I'm an ever-so-great writer...and I've always got a new project that I'm doing (cough cough bulls**t) but at least I could blog about how horrible I am at scoping out the coffee shop talent. I love people watching...especially girls. Dean Martin had it right with the comment "Brother, you can't find a nicer occupation...than standing on the corner watching all the girls, watching all the girls, watching all the girls...go by." So at least that'll be entertaining on a slow winter day. I'm gonna give that a shot. However, I'm open to other suggestions as well. Feel free to lend your advice.

I'd like to try Speed Dating...but not alone. None of my friends are willing to go with me though...and there inlies the problem. I'm a pretty charming guy...if you can get past the grotesque facial features...but I'm also very timid to make the first move...and I can never seem to get the words to come out right (see Box Girl story). Speed Dating at least takes out the pick-up lines (which I also suck at) and I can usually tell by the "Tell me about yourself" speech whether or not a girl is immediately crazy...and vice versa. Having never tried it first-hand though, it's kind of like saying "Skydiving is perfectly harmless and seems like a lot of fun" then by the time you touch the ground you're balling your eyes out and screaming that you wanna go home. Anyway, if it happens, you'll all bear witness to the results.

Anyway, that's enough from me for the day. Only a limited time here where I have access to my blog at work...so I'll check in with you tomorrow. Pray that I get Justin's voice outta my head. Maybe I'll watch Fantastic 4 again. Jessica Alba got "Bug" outta my head last night. This might help...

"$teve, come back to bed..."

Yup, that did it.

No comments:

Where should I go next?