Wednesday, October 10, 2007

When Balls Collide

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

What's round, heavy, and has three holes that you stick your fingers into? No, not your mom. A Bowling Ball!!! Yes, today was the day that my job decided to have a little time to get to know eachother outside of the work environment...and what better place to do that than at Bonwood Bowl? Don't worry, it's a rhetorical question. I know there are a lot of answers. Because it was work, there were no beer frames, flashing strikes, or drop your drawers field goals (split the spare) but there was plenty of creative rolls (from Fred Flintstone's twinkle toes to granny shots to between-the-legs), innuendo, and poledancing with a discussion of a future meeting at a gentlemen's club. See? This is why I like my job. The only drawback was that I've been feeling a little under the weather (despite being beautiful the past few days) but I'll get over it eventually. We all still had a good time.

Oh yeah...and my coworker buddy C (who I'm going to Dallas with) has a fear of clowns...so my other worker buddy K arranged to have some of her friends dress up as clowns and bowl next to us. She didn't seem to enjoy it very much. Now, before you think of me or K as some kind of an asshole, hear us out. Now, I teased her a little bit during her birthday that I would get her a clown to sing happy birthday to her...and I didn't (because it was too damn expensive for a professional). So a few weeks ago, K was talking to C...and C was acting cocky and said something like "Oh, that $teve is all talk." She challenged me. K had the crazy clown friends. What was I supposed to do? Again, that's the thing about being cocky, don't whip it out if you're not willing to measure it. I'll keep you posted if she still wants me to go to Dallas...but I think that she will. She's a cool cat.

Anyway, that's about it for right now. I started season two of Battlestar Galactica last night. Good stuff. Mr. & Mrs. Wingman are stopping by my crib tonight for a little fun...so that's cool. Other than that, not much going on with me...so let's check out some of the news.

New York Knickers - Last week, the New York Knickerbockers of the National Basketball Association were...well, in serious trouble. A jury awarded a sexual harassment settlement of $11.6 million to Anucha Browne Sanders, a former employee of the Knicks, because Head coach/General Manager Isiah Thomas called her a "bitch" and she was later fired out of spite. Simply unacceptable. Now, the Reverend Al Sharpton demands that Mr. Thomas apologize to all black women. That's right, Rev. Al Sharpton, who has been caught red-handed with hookers & blow...is demanding that Isiah Lord Thomas III apologize to black women all over the world for saying the word. If it was unfounded, then yes, Mr. Thomas should apologize...to Ms. Sanders. However, I think that he'll be hesitant to, since she's getting $11.6 million from the incident. Who knows? It may have been perfectly founded...and he was simply calling a square a square or a circle a circle...but it doesn't matter. What's done is done...and hopefully the lesson was learned. Shouldn't Al Sharpton be in Jena, Louisiana anyway? What business is it of his? Focus on the rap industry if you're going to bother people about saying "bitch" or something. Moral of this story - If you're going to be frankly honest with somebody in a work environment, be sure that they are the same sex, race, religion, and demographic as you, otherwise you'll probably have to pay them millions.

To try and distract from the negative public relations fiasco, they announced today that they resigned previously retired guard Allan Houston to a one-year contract to hopefully get them in playoff contention in the Eastern Conference. Houston is the 4th leading franchise scorer in the Knicks star-studded history...but has been retired for the last two seasons. Why does he still have a job? Because the man can pop a three-pointer with the best of them...and even though he's pushing forty years of age, his jumper is still silky smooth...and there's always a spot for you on an NBA roster if you can consistently hit a jump shot. It's a forgotten art, it seems. The key to making an NBA roster is to fit into the system and have a niche on the team. In Mr. Houston's case, it's to be that open guy on the perimeter when Marbury drives into the lane and draw the double-team. Good luck, Mr. Houston. Too bad the Knicks have sucked for a while now. What would you expect from a team named after pants anyway?

Most Anticipated Movies - Here's a list of the ten most-anticipated movies right now...according to http://www.movietickets.com/. Oh...and because it's my blog, I'm putting in a few words on each...and how I anticipate each.

  1. Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Harrison Ford rocks!!! The only way that I could want to see this movie more is if Angelina Jolie had a cameo as Lara Croft. Sorry Spielberg, I've already spoiled the surprise. Bwahahahaha!!!
  2. The Dark Knight - BATMAN!!! Nanananananananana...this is a 10 on my anticipation meter.
  3. National Treasure: Book of Secrets - I wonder if Nicholas Cage will ever be the voice of Sleepy in a CGI remake of Snow White. Take that, Bubbles!!! "There is a book. It has secrets. It's called the Book of Secrets. The President has it. I have to kidnap the President." Are you retarded? Ask nicely. By the way, your great-great-great-granddaddy's name showed up on a charred corner of a 150 year old document that may have been from the diary of Jefferson Davis, so everybody thinks that YOU killed Lincoln? That's a bit of a stretch for me. I may wait for the rental. Diane Kruger is hot.
  4. American Gangster - As expressed a few blogs ago, I can't wait to see this movie in a few weeks. Denzel & Russell Crowe are surefire box office GOLD!!! Denzel is a druglord. Russell Crowe is the good guy. Oh yeah!!!
  5. The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - Yeah, I was disappointed that those British brats survived the first one too. I don't care for the Narnia books. I liked it better when it was called...ugh, what was it? Oh yeah, the Bible...without talking beavers.
  6. Iron Man - You know that I can't wait for this movie already.
  7. I Am Legend - I am really glad that they remade the Vincent Price classic "The Last Man on Earth" and it so happens to be the Fresh Prince. It should be an awesome movie...and has zombies.
  8. Get Smart - Steve Carell is perfect to take over for Don Adams in the role of Maxwell Smart. By the way, I watched "Evan Almighty" this morning before work...and it was okay. I liked "Bruce Almighty" better...but Morgan Freeman makes a good God. I'd still check it out. Suggestion to Tom Shadyac, "$teve Almighty" - Rated NC-17. Email me for details.
  9. The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor - The third installment of the Mummy movies still stars Brendan Fraser (though Rachel Weisz thinks she's too good, so they replaced her with the stunning Maria Bello) and Jet Li is the Dragon Emperor. Oh yeah, Michelle Yeoh is going to be in it too ("Memoirs of a Geisha" & "Crouching Tiger"). Nice.
  10. Charlie Wilson's War - I had to look this one up...but apparently it's Tom Hanks & Julia Roberts among others in a story about Texas congressman Charlie Wilson's covert dealings in Afghanistan, where his efforts to assist rebels in their war with the Soviets have some unforeseen and long-reaching effects. Sounds Oscar-winning. I'll pass.

Have a great night everybody!!! See ya tomorrow!!!

4 comments:

Fleur de Bee said...

You know I am actually cracking up at the clowns bit. I saw this clip off YouTube once where it was very real for a woman to be terrified of clowns. That visual of the bowling however takes the cake....it's fun to be a little naughty isn't it. Utah can get so boring, sheesh! However I swear I am in the wrong business...i need to be scrapbooking or making those wooden crafts seen everywhere. I think they even sell them at Smiths Marketplace....ugg! I imagine Logan is much worse than in the big city with the bubble around it! :)

$teve said...

Oh yeah, the friends in clown outfits totally played it out too. They were doing some crazy things with the lane, those little ramp things that old ladies use, it was truly a sight to behold.

I don't know what it is with Utah & Scrapbooking...but there's definitely a profit to be had in that industry. Dance is also a really big thing here. I think it's beating out Jell-O in today's market place. I just can't imagine going to a scrapbooking convention like I hear about every other week. "Come see the new models...before they hit Smith's shelves. Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, it's the Scraptacular Scrap Expo!!!"

Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

I think you'e onto something with that Croft vs. Jones mash up. I'd pay to see that.

They made another Get Smart movie about 10 years ago. I was working in downtown Pittsburgh at the time, and they turned my building into the villian's lair. It was pretty cool. We got to stand around at lunch and watch them shoot scenes.

RE that Dragon Emperor... I wonder when they're making the next movie in the Eragon trilogy? My daughter's a big fan of that. I think there's a new movie coming out soon called Dragon Wars or something. The trailer looked pretty cool.

$teve said...

Yeah, I have a DVD of "Get Smart Again" (1990?) at home. I love that show. Yeah, I'm kinda excited for the next Eragon movie too...even though I didn't particularly like the first one...but when dragons are involved, it's all good.

Where should I go next?