Saturday, October 6, 2007

Saturday Football

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

Last night, my buddy JL Clyde stopped by and we watched the first few episodes of the first season of the NEW Battlestar Galactica series. I have never seen either the original nor the new series before...but everybody knows about the Cylon robots. Why start now? "$teve, this show was spaceships, robots, and hot chick robots." "You're right, how could I not enjoy this show?" After watching the first few shows, I must watch the rest. My favorite character (the one I wouldn't mind being) is Dr. Gauis Baltar. He's one of the greatest minds of his generation...until he ends up getting seduced by a sexy cylon named Six and she ends up betraying him and using his access, helps destroy the human race. The reason I like him though...is because he may be going schizo (or may have something futuristic planted in him...probably through his penis) and has visions of talking to the seductobot every few minutes (great eye candy) and kinda zones in and out of daydreams. He's also torn because he feels that he helped destroy the human race by not realizing that he was dipping his wick in the next step of the iPhone. Great character development in my opinion. I also like to think that he should start every conversation with "I f**ked a robot." For example, "Dr. Baltar, have you ran the screenings of the crew?" "I f**ked a robot. I mean...no, I haven't gotten around to that quite yet. I've ugh...had a lot on my mind."


Commander Adama is my second choice. He's played by Edward James Olmos (whose skin has the consistency of an orange) and must have a dramatic speech every 45 minutes of airtime in his contract, I'm sure. Besides, call me crazy, but I think that by season two he's going to be banging the Madame President (Mary McDonnell and yes, she WAS the first lady in "Independence Day" and Stands with a Fist in "Dances with Wolves"). I can't wait to see where this show goes. Favorite part of the show so far: "Commander, what should we do?" (Dramatic pause with glance at President's aide hitting on a 4-foot tall hot girl) "We make babies." (Confused pause) "Is...is that an order?" I think that you guys should check it out...but you probably have already because you guys are super cool like that...and I'm just catching up.


College Football - I actually spent most of this "Gut-Check Saturday" afternoon watching great college football games. College football is really cool to me because they play for scholarships (that some actually use) instead of millions of dollars. I also like that, this year especially, the disparity in talent is getting slimmer and slimmer. There have been a large number of upsets where the underdogs have dominated the nationally-ranked team...and I think that I know why...and I'm glad to say that it's coaching. For example, I watched the game between Miami and North Carolina. UNC head coach Butch Davis used to coach Miami (championships and basically rebuilt the school's program) but left to coach the NFL's Cleveland Browns (sucked at it) and went back to college to coach UNC last year. Well, at the half, the UNC Tar Heels were up 27-0 against the Miami Hurricanes. It got a little closer but UNC still won 33-27...but it's for their 1st win of the year against a division one team. Now, I know that I'm talking sports again, so I'm going to stop...because that probably bores most of you. I just like to put my two cents in once in a while. Can't wait for the LSU and Florida game tonight. Go Tigers!!! Urban Meyer sucks!!! (For those who don't know, Urban Meyer used to coach at the University of Utah...then took the money and ran to Florida)


I woke up this morning around 10 AM...and loved it. That's the best thing about wicked winter weekend weather...is that sunshine is nowhere to be seen, so if you have large windows in your bedroom, it doesn't matter. You can sleep until you're ready to wake up (or somebody calls you). Because of the cold, rainy weather, my trip to Lagoon was postponed until tomorrow (if it clears up). We shall see. Worst-case, it's cancelled and I go to hang with my dad watching professional football. Ah, what a sad life I lead. Oh well, I'm happy. Speaking of football and movies...


Football Movies


Medal Winners


Gold - Any Given Sunday (1999) - Oh yeah, best football movie ever made. Oliver Stone, Al Pacino, Jamie Foxx, Dennis Quaid, James Woods, Cameron Diaz, LL Cool J, Jim Brown, Lawrence Taylor, Lela Rochon, Matthew Modine, Ann Margaret, Lauren Holly, Aaron Eckhart, Bill Bellamy, Charlton Heston, John C. McGinley, cameos all over the place, it's basically the perfect pro football movie. If you haven't seen it, and you like football, then you should check this movie out. Five stars. Oh wait, I already listed off the actors, this is like a thirty stay movie.


Silver - Rudy (1993) - Set back when Notre Dame football was winning, this is the story of a Hobbit (Sean Astin) working hard to make the team. There a big to-do made about making it in honor of his brother who died in some kind of explosion (haven't seen it in a few years) or smelting accident, but it's more about never giving up, even if you're trapped in the body of a Goonie. Of course, how Notre Dame football is this year...maybe Rudy should try out again. It really couldn't hurt. Great movie for the heart...and loosely based on a true story. I wonder whatever happened to Daniel "Rudy" Ruettiger after making the team...


Bronze - The Replacements (2000) - It's a comedy very loosely based on the replacement players used during the NFL players strike of 1985. Keanu Reeves should've kept the name from "Point Break" of Johnny Utah...but instead is quarterback Shane Falco (still a cool name). Gene Hackman is the coach. Other players are acted by 7-Up spokesman Orlando Jones, "Iron Man" director Jon Favreau (also in Rudy), Rhys Ifans, and others. It's just a fun movie to watch...and that's why it makes my list.


Suggestion - Necessary Roughness (1991) - Okay, it's basically a comedy about a heavily-sanctioned college in Texas making a team with players that...well, normally wouldn't even make it to tryout. Scott Bakula is the quarterback (already in his thirties...but he can leap back through time, right?), Sinbad is the defensive end, and Kathy Ireland is the hottest kicker POSSIBLE!!! Also starring is Rob Schnieder (not as a carrot), Jason Bateman, Hector Elizondo, and Robert Loggia. Another fun romp for the kids...well, teenagers. If anything, watch it for Kathy Ireland. I know that I do. Look at those legs! She could probably kick a 50-yarder.


Flush It - The Program (1993) - It's basically about the pressures of playing for a major college football program...and it's understandable...but I just didn't care for this movie. The scene with the kids lying in the middle of a busy road for 'initiation' or whatever...that was a little extreme (and there were a few events where stupid asses mimicked it...and got ran over). James Caan gives a sturring performance as a dick head coach and Halle Berry & Omar Epps costar...but I wouldn't really recommend watching it. Watch "Any Given Sunday" instead.


Future Watch - The Brett Favre Story (2020?) - Shortly after he retires, he signs on to star as himself in the story of a country boy from Kiel, MS growing up to be the coolest mofo ever to not wear an Eagles jersey. Matthew McConaughey costars as a young Brett Favre (or he could just shave) and Joey Pants stars as the ghost of Vince Lombardi. I think it could work. I don't know of any football movies coming out soon...but I might go check out that "Gameplan" movie with the Rock.


Tonight, I may just go with my brother to the Tech 9 concert out at Saltair tonight. It's only about $30 and he and my buddy Spitso are going to be there. Can't beat that, right? Anybody know how I can get tickets to that Led Zeppelin reunion concert? That'd be sweet (and expensive). Anyway, back to football. Have a great night everybody!!! Do something fun!!!

4 comments:

j.l. clyde said...

sex with robots in spaceships... mmmmm, i feel all warm and fuzzy inside... oh, wait, that's a tribble.

a lovely evening dr. love. we should do it again... but with fraggles and whiskey.

Stephanie Faris said...

Well, I'm not a football fan so I can honestly say I've seen none of those movies!

MyDirtyLaundry said...

Dude, you totally dropped the (foot)ball by not mentioning "Friday Night Lights". I saw it in the theatre three times and I don't even like football!

$teve said...

Lala, I'm sorry but I didn't fumble. Friday Night Lights was okay...but if you look at the list, Bakula beats Billy Bob badly. We all have our opinions though. Varsity Blues, The Longest Yard (elder or latter), and many others were off the list.

JL Clyde, totally. Stephie, I think you should check some of them out if you get a chance. If not, that's cool. Might I suggest "The Cutting Edge" it's a figure skating flick. It's pretty good too.

Where should I go next?