Friday, October 19, 2007

Congrats to Soulshakers!!!

Good Evening Ladies & Gentlemen,

Guess what. I won some kick-ass concert tickets today courtesy of KBER 101 to go see Coheed & Cambria at Saltair. The only problem is...I'll be in Spain when they're performing. No problem though. I found somebody who was willing to take them off my hands. They'd enjoy more than I would anyway. To be perfectly honest, I've heard of Coheed & Cambria...but I couldn't pick them out of a lineup or name a single song that they do. I hear they're good though. Thanks KBER!!! Now, how about a job as a late night disc jockey? However, I have even BIGGER music news...


Congratulations to Spitsofrantic & Soulshakers Entertainment!!!


The other day they won the second round of the Bodog Battle of the Bands in beautiful Las Vegas. They have moved onto the next round and are competing for one million dollars with the best bands in the western United States. If you're interested, their next battle will be on November 26th at the lovely Cheyenne Saloon in Las Vegas. Want free tickets? I can hook you up or you can contact them through this Spitsofrantic link. Support the Soulshakers Music Revolution!!!


Also in music news, on a much sadder note, the last member of the infamous Rat Pack has passed away. Joey Bishop has rejoined his legendary troupe of entertainers (Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Peter Lawford, and Sammy Davis, jr.) in what I can only assume is the swinginest shindig in all of Heaven at the tender age of 89. He was referred to as "the hub of the big wheel" by Sinatra when talking about the Rat Pack and was widely regarded as the comic relief in the routine. Being a wiseass and bit of a crooner in a hip-hop world, this is kind of a sad day for me...but my heart goes out to his family & friends. Anyway, that's really all I wanted to say. Rest in peace playa!!!


Toilet Scare - You all thought I was crazy last week when I told you about my tendency to put the toilet seat down because of the fear of green Ghoulie monsters crawling up and biting my ass while I did paperwork...well, who's crazy now? A Brooklyn woman named Nadege Brunacci was washing her hands Monday when she noticed a SEVEN FOOT PYTHON in her toilet. The 38-year old restauranteur "turned on the light and screamed" upon the sight, threw the lid down, set a heavy box (convenientally located in her bathroom?) on the lid, and called for help. Later, she gave the python to a friend who kept it and named it after her. Does anybody know how to correct pronounce Nadege? Na-dej? Na-de-ge? Na-di-gi? Anyway, so the threat really is out there, however unlikely it may seem. Check before you sit, when you're going to s**t. Jesus, a seven-footer too. Oh yeah, nobody knows how it got there either. If another one shows up though, that's a sign to move out. That's like one of the first stages before Satan himself shows up at your front door...and he ain't delivering pizza.


More Giant Reptiles - In Argentina, scientists have discovered what they believe to be the skeleton of a new 105-foot plant-eating dinosaur that they have named Futalognkosaurus Dukei after the Mapuche Indian words for "giant" and "chief" and for the Duke Energy Argentina company that financed the dig. I've always been a big dinosaur nerd...ever since I was a kid...so I just thought that I'd share that with you. I also thought that the name was kind of hilarious, Futalognkosaurus (FOO-ta-long-koh-SOHR-us). I wouldn't expect it to show up in the next Jurassic Park movie as a threat to Sam Neill...but dinosaurs are cool...so there. If you're interested in more, there's a link.


Untouchables Prequel - Ladies & Gentlemen, I am super excited about the possibility of a big budget prequel to the 1987 classic "The Untouchables" being planned by director Brian DePalma (original, "Scarface", "Carlito's Way", "Black Dahlia", etc.) and already titled as "The Untouchables: Capone Rising." The story will detail the relationship between Jimmy Malone (Sean Connery's character in the original) and Al Capone (Robert DeNiro). Who's going to star in this movie? Well, Gerard Butler ("300") is locked to play Jimmy Malone but Al Capone is still undecided. Originally, everybody's favorite Nicolas Cage was interested...but has backed out, possibly to play Fu Manchu in Rob Zombie's "Werewolf Women of the SS" (hopefully). So the question arises, who will play the young Al Capone? I have no idea. I've tried to think of a few...but you need someone who can match the intensity of Gerard Butler...and Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro are just too damn old. My vote - Edward Norton. However, he can do any movie that he wants, so why a prequel? Let me know what you think...and I'll see if I can convince Mr. DePalma. Also, check out the original "Untouchables" with Robert Stack ("Unsolved Mysteries" and "Baseketball").


Barbarella Remake? - One of the best bad movies of all times is the 1968 Jane Fonda psychedelic sci-fi movie "Barbarella" which influenced everything in modern culture from the development of my own Orgazmatron to the naming of the legendary group Duran Duran. However, rumor has it that a remake of this classic stands in limbo (I didn't even know it was a possibility). Allegedly, the project was offered to moviemaking supergod Robert Rodriguez who insisted on casting the lead actress as his fiance Rose McGowan (both worked on "Planet Terror") but the studio and producer Dino DeLaurentiis ("Conan" movies) don't think that she could carry the movie. Rodriguez insists though, so they're at a standstill. Moviemaking seems like a pretty stubborn business. That's why I want to make no-budget blockbusters like "Napoleon Dynamite" only funny. Or "Blair Witch Project" only scary. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the "Barbarella" remake...but as with all remakes, it's probably not a bad idea to just go see the original. Which reminds me, I'd better add "Untouchables" & "Barbarella" to my Blockbuster Queue. Any suggestions on who else might play Barbarella? Jessica Alba? Scarlett Johannsen? Lindsay Lohan? Does it really matter?


Since I've received some criticism that I talk too much about sports, I'm going to call that a day. Join me next time when I talk about...stuff and other such related stuff.

2 comments:

j.l. clyde said...

gary oldman. duh. anything, remember? the man can play anything. including capone and barbarella. at the same time. weirdest movie. ever.

$teve said...

I see your point about Gary Oldman...but have we already forgotten "The Easter Benny"? He's committed...well, not officially but verbally.

You know, I used to think that Gary Oldman could play any part...but there's one part I do not care to think of...and that...is Barbarella. He could play Duran Duran though...

Where should I go next?