Sunday, January 6, 2008

BEHOLD!!! A GOD IS BORN!!!

Good Evening Ladies & Gentlemen,

What a way to have one's 200th blog entry!!! Today was just supposed to be an average lazy Sunday…but then I received a text message around 8:30 AM my sister-in-law basically saying "My water just broke. We're heading to the hospital." I was really excited to hear it…but worried that it was too early and there might be complications…but somehow, I still managed to fall back asleep within about twenty seconds. An hour later, I got a text message from my brother saying they were at the hospital and okay. I took this as a good time to actually get out of bed. It had snowed overnight (as I think it has snowed at least a little every day the past two weeks) and I felt like I should go to see them in the hospital an hour's drive away…but something kept me from going. You can say it's laziness…and you're probably right…but I decided to stay home and watch football and try to finish up downloading my songs onto my iPod (over 3500 songs now). A few hours later, I received word from my brother that all is well, baby, mama, and daddy are all doing okay…and Kiel, jr. a.k.a. Vinny a.k.a. Dr. Aquafresh a.k.a. my nephew was born at 5 pounds and 17 inches. Not bad for a guy coming out about five weeks prematurely. SO BEHOLD!!! YOUR NEW GOD…AND MY NEW NEPHEW, VINNY!!!








After receiving this picture, I called them up and congratulated them. I'm planning on going to visit the hospital tomorrow morning before work, so I should have pictures for tomorrow's post. Until then, just know that this uncle is tickled pink about meeting the little guy…but has to work all night. You may be asking yourself, "So…why didn't you go visit them in the couple of hours before work today?" Well, it was snowing…and I'm sure all parties involved were exhausted anyway…and already had to put up with family & friends stopping by at all hours…and I had work…and they'll be there tomorrow morning bright eyed & bushy tailed. Also, I just had a feeling that I should stay home. I couldn't really explain it…until around two o'clock, I got a call from Bubbles. She was crying…so being the superhero that I am, I jumped into action. Apparently, her dog ran off with a neighbor & her dog…they went to the park…and the neighbor & her dog came back…but not Bubbles' dog. "Where's my dog?" "Oh…he didn't…come back." Awesome, right? So they (her mom too) drove around for a few hours to look for him…and didn't notice their fuel gauge reaching empty…and it was snowing (as mentioned several times already). So Dr. Love hopped into his Poor Man's Maybach and helped them out. They were obviously very appreciative for the assistance…but it's all in a day's work honestly. As I've said multiple times (especially this last week), "There's no need to thank me, just pay it forward." Hopefully they find their dog…and I'm sure he'll turn up when he gets cold & hungry.


Paying It Forward - Okay, for those of you who don't know of the concept (or haven't seen the movie with Kevin Spacey, Helen Hunt, and Haley Joel Osment), Paying It Forward is a term that I tend to overuse. In the movie's context, it's basically a great idea about each person doing three GREAT things for a complete stranger in their lifetime. Examples in the movie were a guy tossing somebody else the keys to his luxury car because they had a flat tire or something like that…and some kind of super-drastic act of random kindness…and when they thank you, you should respond "No need to thank me, just pay it forward" and then they do three GREAT things for a complete stranger in their lifetime. Now, I'm not exactly in a position where I can toss even used car keys at somebody who ran out of gas…but that doesn't mean that I can't help in my own little ways…and ask for nothing in return other than knowing that I made a difference. The closest that I've come to one of these GREAT things is giving my best friend $3000 a few years ago when he was going through a divorce & trying to get his life in order. Now, this doesn't qualify because he's not a stranger by any means…but it was quite a commitment for a starving college student who had saved that money up for a down payment someday. The only stipulation - "Put it to good use…and pay me back eventually if you can." "Dude, I'll pay you back as soon as my taxes come back." "No you won't…but it's okay. Just put it to good use…and pay me back if you can. Period." Since then, his legal fees have been paid, he started his own company and is getting that off the ground, and has met a great girl and proposed to her a few weeks ago. Complete turnaround from where he was.


Sometimes, especially around New Year's with resolutions and all, we say we need to do more for others. We say, "This year, I'm going to donate more time & money to charities, help those in need, join the Peace Corps, whatever needs to be done." Then a few weeks later, the bills from Christmas come back and we're squeezing the life out of pennies or working overtime to pay off debts…and by the time Valentine's rolls around we've completely forgotten about our resolution to help others. Let me tell you though, you don't have to do huge things to help out your fellow man (or woman), and it's really one of the greatest feelings you'll get with your clothes on. If you see somebody on the side of the road with their emergency lights on, stop & see if they're okay…or at least if they need to call a tow truck or something (pending you're not an automotive genius). If somebody needs help moving, help them out. If somebody's having a bad day, just lend them a sympathetic ear or get them a coke or a cup of coffee. It really does help. Of course, common courtesy things like holding doors for people, cleaning up after yourself, offering to help carry stuff, and all that should be customary anyway. My suggestion is just to make a conscious effort to help others. It usually doesn't even cost a thing other than your precious time…but they'll be eternally grateful for it. Worst-case, they're not grateful…but Karma will still come back around on you…so it's all good. Anyway, that's my rant.


Let's see. Yesterday, I spent the day watching football with my dad and eating pizza, nachos, almonds, cheetos, and all the other great delicacies of the football watcher. I also received a belated Christmas present from my stepsister that was an assortment of Asian cooking sauces like soy sauce, sesame seed oil, peanut sauce, teriyaki sauce, and something called classic stir fry sauce…which I assume is a fancy way or saying soy sauce. Now I can really put my wok to use. After watching two really good games, we watched "Shoot 'Em Up" and as expected, my dad loved it. After that, I went home and got a call from a friend that I hadn't seen in 18 months…and hadn't seen before that (graduation) in a few years, Aaron. He was calling to see how I'd been…and get added as a friend on my MySpace account. We caught up a little bit…and I told him about my new nephew coming soon (little did I know it'd be within 12 hours). It was pretty cool…and then today at work, a friend that I hadn't seen in almost a year because she took a leave of absence for family stuff…we'll call her Ariel. She was in a great mood for the first time in too long…and she even gave me a peck on the cheek. See what I mean? Little things like that can turn a day around completely. Were I not already trippin' balls on happiness from a new arrival to the family, helping Bubbles, and hanging with the Mad Scientist at work, that would have done it too. It's truly a great day to be me. I don't mean to brag or promote jinxing of the situation…just showing that I recognize my good fortune. I'm truly lucky to have such great friends & family. Thank you all so much!!!


Well, I really don't have much to talk about other than all that except that I'm going to try to watch American Gladiators between tasks at work…but we'll see how that goes. If I miss it, please let me know how it is. I noticed from the commercials yesterday that they fall into water instead of the mats like the old version. That should be interesting…with the ladies…in spandex. Mmm…


Have a great night everybody…and I'll try to be more entertaining tomorrow…and have pictures of my new nephew. Drive safely and say hi to your mom for me!!! Oh also, I think it's a little funny that my nephew shares a birthday with Mr. Bean & Joan of Arc.

3 comments:

Girl In A Gi said...

Congrats on the birth of a supreme being! I hope your Sister-in-Law is doing well today. I can't wait to see more pictures!

Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

I think your giving the guy $3,000 counts as a GREAT thing. So, you only have 5 more to go, according to the system, right?

$teve said...

Sorry about the lack of new baby pics, P. Monkey. I'll have some more soon though. Sis is doing well, as is the Greek God of Funyuns.

BSUWG, technically I only do two more...and then each of those that I helped do three things each. However, I usually go above & beyond...so I may go for five more.

Where should I go next?