Sunday, June 8, 2008

Utah Pride Parade

Good Evening Ladies & Gentlemen,

Last night after watching "Ax Men" for...sigh, about nine hours (I told you it was a marathon...and I was kind of half-ass listening / packing), JL Clyde came over and we ate some Yoshi's sushi again and watched the Sci-Fi Channel remake of "Dune" with William Hurt and...well, the only other person I knew was Ian McShane. Now, I haven't seen anything to do with Dune in about twenty years. I remember a bunch of random images like a giant shrimp, floating fat guy with black stuff coming out of him, the floating needle that strikes movement, Sting, glowing blue eyes, giant worms, Jean Luc Picard was in it, and even as a kid, I remember Spice being an allegory for Oil in the Middle East (I was a quick kid, what happened?). I didn't even know that David Lynch directed the original...but it does make a lot of sense. The best part was that Ian McShane plays the floating fat guy...and I can't help but think of him as the guy in "Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls" and I just can't see him in an evil light. Anyway, we made it about 2/3 of the way through it before we decided to call it a night because we had to get up early. Check it out if you like Dune. That's really all I have to say about that. Oh...and then I was getting calls while I was trying to go to sleep...so that didn't work out well.

This morning, I woke up with a pretty sore back...like a pulled muscle in my lower back. I'm pretty sure it happened when I was having a dream that I remember vaguely. Somebody that I cared about was in danger...and I was helping them...and it involved kicking a few asses...but eventually they surrounded me (probably ninjas, professional assassins, or some kind of bear zombie hybrid) and I just remember literally sitting up in bed throwing elbows and kicking. I may have even let out a "Hi-YAH!!!" So it may have just been a quick motion after laying for hours that did it. Anyway, now that you think I'm crazy (throwing punches in my sleep doesn't happen...which is why this was weird) let me continue with my morning.

I sent a birthday text to Alisa...because it's her birthday & she's AWESOME!!! Then I drove to meet up with JL Clyde & Randy Randy to see the Utah Pride Parade. For those of you who don't watch the news, this parade is not just about pride in the state of Utah (that's Pioneer Day on July 24th) but rather pride in being gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender...and for me, support that pride to be whoever the hell you wanna be. Besides, they throw the most festive parties and are always a hoot. Here are some pictures from the parade...but I screwed up and didn't recharge my camera battery...so I have about half the parade...
Beautiful day
Gotta love corporate sponsorship...
If I'm in town, I'm going to the Roller Derby
Leave It to Cleavers vs. Sisters of No Mercy
QUAC - Queer Utah Aquatic Club
Still think it's a little creepy...
Great suggestion - "Drink beer, be gay!!!"

After the parade, we went to have some breakfast at JB's and I enjoyed a wonderful Florentine Omelet (bacon) with pancakes and a few glasses of water. I don't fare well in direct sunlight for too long...so I have to keep hydrated...or else it gets bad. We made friends with a few of the waitresses who were interested in the Pride Festival and had a great meal...then we headed to the festival. I'm really bummed that I don't have any pictures to show you...but it's everything that you would have expected and more. Picture thousands of flamboyant individuals, surrounded by their peers, in a beautiful park (Salt Lake City-County Building), with Bud Light as a corporate sponsor (booze all around), and great local musical acts.

It was a LOT of fun...and I saw some friends and former coworkers there too. We had a few drinks, parked under a tree, listened to Kid Medusa (the drummer/singer/keyboard went to high school with JL Clyde & she was awesome...like Animal with blonde dreadlocks) and just chatted & people watched. We even had some gyros & dolmathis for lunch. Good times. I recommend chillaxing at a Pride Festival if you get the chance. It's incredibly entertaining just to sit back & observe...like a fly on the wall...and still show your support.

After about four hours, I decided that it was time for me to go home & take a nap (sunlight draining me) and get some water...so after a six block hike to my car, I drove home...and am now watching "Taking Lives" with Angelina Jolie & Ethan Hawke. It's a pretty good movie so far. Not entirely sure about the story (because I showed up half-way through) but I'm pretty sure that Ethan Hawke's gonna end up being the killer...and it doesn't matter...because I get to look at Angelina's eyes & lips for another hours between commercials. Why can't Angelina run for President instead of Hillary? I wouldn't mind seeing that mug on my television for twelve hours a day taking about health care, the economy, and all the kinky things she does in the oval office (wait, that was Bill), but just...think about it. I know I will.

Anyway, I'm gonna go take a nap now...because I'm a little tired. Again, happy birthday to Alisa!!! Oh and Vegas, any time that you wanna call...feel free to. Have a great day everybody!!!

6 comments:

A.P. said...

If I had to do that to another guy, I would want a parade too.

$teve said...

I ugh...wow. WOW!!! Not sure how to respond to that one. You'd probably get that parade...

P.S. I wish I could say that I've missed work this last week...but that would be a fib. :)

Alisa said...

Steve rocks.

$teve said...

THAT'S A LIE!!! :) Happy birthday Alisa. I hope that you got your Tiger's Blood Snowcone.

Girl In A Gi said...

That parade looked kind of AWESOME! We have one here in Denver, but I've never been...maybe I'll go this year...

$teve said...

Please do...and let me know how it is. I'm sure that you'd enjoy it.

Where should I go next?