Thursday, June 26, 2008

My Love of Brandy

Good Morning Ladies & Gentlemen,

So...how much do I love my Poor Man's Maybach, Brandy? How does one measure love? Is it a unit of volume...like liters of gallons sweat or blood spilled for her? Unit of distance...like how far you would physically go to make something better...or how far you'd travel with her (up to 210,000 miles now)? Unit of heat...need I say more with this heat wave going through Utah this past week? Well, since I didn't have proper measuring devices for those units, I think I'll just resort to the units of American currency that I've used this past week on her upkeep. Now, I realize that a lot of you pay hundreds of dollars per month on a car payment...but this is kind of a big deal to me...and keep in mind...that it would be a LOT more if I didn't have a great father, his great mechanic, and a newer car.

$350 - 6 months of full coverage insurance
$120 - Windshield
$350 - Air conditioning (a must for Vegas)
$180 - Fix steering wheel
$400 - Fresh new tires (Uniroyal Tiger Paws)
$100 - Safety, emissions, & registration
$100 - Tuneup (plugs, wires, belts, cap, rotor, etc)
$60 - Full synthetic oil change (every 3000 miles)
Grand total - About $1600 (and don't forget gas)

Sure, it's all needed...but still, hurtin' my pockets, son. It'll be like a new car though...and when all the work's done, I'll have to give her a good wash & wax so that she can bling in the summer sun.

NBA Draft Tonight - Basketball's Christmas 2008 Edition is later today...and my predication, a lot of trades...including the top picks. Why? It worked for the Celtics this year when they traded the #5 pick last year (Jeff Green) for a veteran (Ray Allen) and they ended up winning a championship instead of rebuilding. Don't worry, I'll save all of my insight & analysis until tomorrow when the draft is actually finished...but I think that my brother from another mother Kevin Love is being severely underrated in this draft...and just because he looks a little on the chunky side. I think he'll be a great player for a long time...and most mock drafts have him going around pick number ten. Keep your eye on that guy. More tomorrow...

Last night after running around, I met up with my mom, ordered up some Chinese food (still lots of leftovers), and get a few movies. The movie that I picked was "10,000 BC" starring Steve Strait ("The Covenant") and Camilla Belle ("The Quiet" & "When A Stranger Calls") and narrated by the great Omar Sharif. The story is...well, it's not historically accurate by any means...but it's about a tribe of mammoth hunters who are pillaged by a group of...I don't know, maybe Vikings...and they take a bunch of the people as slaves to unknown lands to the hunters. Yet because one of the girls taken is SUPER hot (and the prophecy says so), a small group of hunters go to save them. Along the way, there's African tribes, sabre-toothed tigers, giant moas (prehistoric birds that apparently act like raptors), the Egyptian pyramids, and a lot of other things...but as long as you are a master of disbelief & not history, it's quite the enjoyable movie. It's like a mix of "Apocolypto" and "Last of the Mohicans" (because it's mostly in English). It's a pretty good exciting flick.

The movie that we picked was "The Bucket List" with Jack Nicholson & Morgan Freeman. As you may have seen on the preview, it's about two elderly strangers who are about to kick the bucket, so they make a list of things that they want to do before that happens. It's a great movie with a few touching moments, a lot of one-liners from Jack, and a lot of trivial facts & narration from Morgan. I say check it out. It makes you think about the time that you have here & what you should be doing to make it better for yourself & others, a subject that I tend to think about a lot...but not do as much as I would like. Perhaps I'll have to put some thought into this & make a Bucket List of my own. I'll have to get back at you with that though.

One possibility may have already slipped away...as earlier this week, Adriana Lima was proposed to by her boyfriend Marko Jaric. Now, through the sweet power of delusion, I may think that I'm a better match than him...but as long as she's happy, that's what's important. Congratulations to both of you...and don't forget to invite me to the wedding. Can you imagine the lineup of bridesmaids? I wonder if they'll be wearing angel wings...and hideous seafoam dresses that look like something out of a sci-fi movie.

Well, that'll pretty much do it for today. More errands to run, more work on the car (and a few stops by the bank), going to the Arts Festival tonight, should be a fun little day. Have a great day everybody!!! Make the most out of it!!! Cross something off your Bucket List when you get the chance!!! Let me know if any of you want to go skydiving. I have yet to do that...and it's on the list.

No comments:

Where should I go next?