Thursday, June 5, 2008

Happy Birthday Camb

Good Morning Ladies & Gentlemen,

Still raining like mad here in Utah...and I love it. That's obviously going to be the biggest adjustment for me when I move to Vegas...is the Seasons. Here in Utah, we have the standard seasons - Summer, Fall, Winter, and the 3rd week of May. Whereas I'm told in Vegas, it sounds more like the settings on an oven with Simmer, Bake, Broil, and Clean...which I guess is the peak season. I should be able to adjust though.

Last night, I watched "Meet the Spartans" starring Carmen Electra, Diedrich Bader, and Kevin Sorbo (remember Hercules?). Have no idea who the lead guy playing Leonidas was apparently his name is Sean Maguire. Basically, the movie was a parody of the movie "300" (pulled a close 2nd in Best Movie of 2007 in my eyes) but it really wasn't that funny. I mean...if you've seen all these "Epic Movie", "Date Movie", "Superhero Movie" or are anticipating the upcoming "Disaster Movie" then you've seen this one...just with more of the same...with painted-on abs. I almost feel bad for watching it honestly...because I know that it humors them to make more. I keep hoping that they're as good as the Scary Movie 1-3 were...but instead their usually Scary Movie 4 or much much worse. Oh well, if you like cheap laughs (and I usually do) then you may wanna check it out.

Happy birthday to Camb...who also shares a birthday with Marky Mark (37) and Ron Livingston of "Office Space" (41). I know she loves Office Space, so that's why I threw him in there. Not sure about Marky Mark...but I know that I'm a little excited to see "The Happening" starring him, Zooey Deschanel (so I know BSUWG is gonna watch it), and John Leguizamo...and directed by M. Night Shyamalan. Now, does anybody else think that it's weird that they're advertising this in the creepy horror announcer's voice as "his first R-Rated film" like it's the main selling feature? I mean...statistics show that horror movies do sell better when they're R-rated (hence why 99.9% of them are) but did they ever think that maybe the reason he still has a job (besides "Sixth Sense" being so good five movies ago) was maybe his PG-13 horror was accessible to high school kids? I'm sure it's R-rated because...basically it looks really really intense with people falling from the sky and just (snap fingers) gone like that...but it just seems the advertising is a little weird for it. Maybe they're just doing it that way to avoid problems at the ticket counter. "Sorry, we can't take your $10 for a ticket because you're 16 and this movie is rated R." Not going to happen. I had that problem ONCE...and it was going to see "The Crow" when I was 13 and my brother was ten (yet still looked 15) and the old guy at the box office asked for driver's licenses. We laughed at him...and spent the next few hours rotting our brains at the arcade playing Mortal Kombat 2 and ripping people's heads off instead. Nice move, old dude.

Dream Last Night - Okay, so it starts out that I'm walking around my mom's house (Fortress of Solitude) in the spring or summer time...and just admiring the scenery. Then there's helicopters...maybe three of them hovering overhead. They land next to me and are much smaller than I expected...and shrinking a little it seems. I walk up...and there are no pilots...and still shrinking. The propeller stops on one of them...and I basically fold the propellers like a toy and carry the helicopter, now about a foot long or so. I start taking it towards the house...and some dude with a moustache asks me what I'm doing. I see that he has a remote for it...so I say "Hey, I was looking for ya. I found your chopper. Pretty cool, man." Then the dream switches to me driving in the mountains with some real estate guy...and stopping to check out a nice house on the market for $110,000. The price is amazing since its a gorgeous house with huge windows facing the valley...but I immediately found why the price was so good...because the foundation under the living room facing the valley...has been lost in a landslide...so it's just kind of hanging over the edge. "Not a big problem, you just need to put some land back under it and make sure it's properly supported." "Not a big deal, huh?" "Absolutely, let me show ya."

We walk inside and I'm checking out the view in the living room (I made him walk towards the window first...to make sure it was steady) and we're enjoying the view as he's blabbing about the features. "Three bedroom, 2.5 bath, Jacuzzi tub in the master bath, AAAAH!!!" The whole room leans towards the window a bit as we catch our balance...but then the carpet rips and we're kind of gliding down the hill...like we're on an upside down umbrella...if that really worked. We land fairly gently in a pool of macaroni salad. Yes, I said macaroni salad. I must be from Utah. Needless to say, the house didn't sell that day.

Next I'm at this incredible house with my dad, brother, and Brendan Fraser (family friend?) and we're just chilling. There's a nice entertainment room with a pool table and big screens, vaulted ceilings with the arched passages instead of doors into a large, beautifully-appointed kitchen / dining room area with three-story bay windows overlooking an oceanside cliff...and with a ceiling that...well, basically looked like a stained glass cathedral dome. Very nice. Anyway, they're asking me about the house I checked out...and I tell them about the room falling off as we're just kicking back a few drinks. After a few minutes, Brendan says that he has to go to bake a "Vegetable cake with rich, chocolate frosting" and I say, "Vegetable cake? With rich, chocolate frosting? That seems...odd." "You should try it." "Well, bring it on by when you're done then." (Holy crap! This was my house!) As he leaves, I say "Have a good one, Matt!!!" The door closes and my dad & brother are looking at me. "Did I just call him Matt? I must have had too many if I'm confusing him with Matt Damon or something."

My dad keeps asking me about the room falling off the house and I'm saying something like "You know, my first thought when the room moved...was actually that it was the Big One that they're always talking about. You know, the earthquake they're always talking about on the news?" Just then, the house starts to shake...so I take a step over into one of the arched passages. Not really an incredible quake...just the chandeliers swaying a little. After about fifteen seconds, it stops...and my brother says, "Like that one?" We laugh. I wake up. Weirdest part about the dream...not one lady in the whole thing. Total sausage fest. Probably the first time that has ever happened. So...am I crazy, Doc?

Well, today I'm going to pack up a little more...then probably go hang with my brother for a bit...and end up at my mom's overnight (trying to forget about that whole dream sequence above...but I may get to meet Brendan Fraser out of it...and find a pool of macaroni salad) to hang with the niece & nephew. She's babysitting tonight...and we can carpool because she's got work tomorrow. Really hoping that I hear about the job today (three weeks since last interview). Bubbles is on her plane heading for San Diego. She called me this morning telling me how excited she was and trying to make time pass while she waited. I'm good for that...and was a mild amount of luck for her on the slot machines...but yeah, she eventually lost ten bucks or so. Ah well, better get to packing or something. Have a great day everybody!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Correction $teve - the 4 seasons in Utah are:
Almost winter, Winter, Still winter, and Road construction.
(or so jeff Foxworthy says...LoL) See you @ work! - Lilie

Doc said...

As your Doc, you aren't crazy. Now if you had been wrestling with Brendan Fraser in an umbrella full of maccaroni salad during an earthquake while your Dad was having a few drinks and screaming "Matt! Matt!" that would be just plain nuts.

Have some NyQuil before bed, that tends to quiet the voices in my head.

Doc

$teve said...

Lilie couldn't be wrong. Jeff Foxworthy...maybe...but not Lilie. :) Road construction's kind of a year round thing now. They've really stepped their game up.

Thank you for the professional advice, Doc. However, I've found that NyQuil tends to make more memorable dreams for me. Well, not memorable...but distinctive. If I talked about ALL of my dreams, they'd get rather boring & sexy...and I'd probably be slapped.

Where should I go next?