Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Welcome to You're "Doom!"

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

I called up my future employer yesterday...and they haven't made a decision yet but remembered my name, apologized for the longer than expected wait, and appreciated my feedback. So basically smoke was blown...and yes, it did tickle a little bit. Hopefully I'll know in the next couple of days...but since I've had nothing better to do, I've been packing a little bit. I'm kind of a pack rat though...so now I have to come up a way to find out what I'm going to need...and hock the rest at a yard sale. A time frame and some information about all of this would be awesome...but I work with what I've got. I have a crap load of engineering, marketing, and other school books...and I know that there's a 99% chance that I'm not going to read them...basically because I rarely did when they were part of the curriculum...so why would I later on? Yet I still can't come to part with them knowing that I spent about $100 a pop. Maybe I can make a sofabed mattress out of them or something. Wait! What's tofu made out of? Isn't it newspaper? Would books work? I don't know. Maybe I should call a bookstore to see if they might gimme a few bucks for gas money or something.


Last night, JL Clyde & I went to have some sushi at Yoshi's Japanese Grill near my house...and it was actually really good. For about $6 you get some great sushi & rolls in a variety of mixes...and there's edamame and all of that kind of stuff too. Not body for a sushi lover on a budget...and surprisingly filling. After that, we watched the first season of "Frisky Dingo" because she had never seen it...and it's hilarious...and of course she liked it. Full of quirky, over-the-top fun...and just really out there at some points. I mean...there's an underground killer bunny prize fighting ring involved...and that's merely a background. You'll enjoy it...or your money back.


While packing, I watched "Semi Pro" starring Will Ferrell, Woody Harrelson, and Andre Benjamin about a one-hit disco wonder Jackie Moon (Ferrell) who owns, coaches, plays, and announces for an ABA franchise called the Flint Tropics. The team is horrible, nobody goes to watch the games, but that doesn't really seem to matter until the league talks about folding...except for four teams that will merge with the NBA (GO SPURS!!!) at season's end. Anyway, it's a comedy...and it has it's moments...but it's like the last few Will Ferrell films where it gets a few laughs but really levels off quickly. There's some great frontal nudity though...so feel free to check it out if you want...and wait for Will Ferrell's next movie that I foresaw in a dream. It'll continue the trend.

I was surprised today to get a call from my Wingman, who was in town for some graduation party thing tonight...but had a few hours to burn. We tried to see if "Harold & Kumar Go to Guantanamo Bay" was playing...but it's only at two theatres in the state still with a showing at 9:45 PM & midnight. We still may go see it...but we'll see how it goes. Neither of us have work tomorrow...and the first Harold & Kumar is a classic. So we decided to go have lunch at Hooters. Now, I know what you ladies are thinking (and what the guys are thinking too) and we were just driving around...and had a theory behind it. You see...if you're expecting an important call, the easiest way to make the person call...is to put yourself in an awkward situation. On the small scale, if you do something like...go to the bathroom, they'll call. If it's a big thing (like Vegas), then you go to a strip club...but because we were hungry & Tuesday afternoons don't have the best lineup, we decided to go to Hooters.

Sure, the waitresses aren't the best. They spill stuff, your orders are always wrong, their friends/former waitresses show up and talk about their battle with alcohol poisoning over the weekend, and you still can't help but stare at their tattoos strategically placed in very sexual positions on their fake bronzed bodies (I think it was the Aerosmith logo), but the burgers are pretty good (bleu cheese, bacon, beef, and grilled mushrooms), the wings are wings (prefer breast meat...but that'll get you kicked out), the Coronas are cold, and when you need a break from staring you can watch ESPN2 kickboxing...and BS with your buddies. Good times. So that's our fascination with Hooters. Mystery solved. Oh...and I didn't get a call. I know that's why you were reading through my rant to begin with.

After lunch, we headed back to my place and had a few hours to burn, so we watched "Grandma's Boy" because he had never seen it before...and it's hilarious. It's about a 35-year old video game tester (Allen Covert) who's kicked out of his apartment and forced to live at his grandma's with her two elderly roommates. Meanwhile, there's a new video game with a deadline, blah blah blah, it's just a great funny stoner movie that you'll laugh your ass off watching. My Wingman also informed me that one of our former classmates is a video game tester. Lucky guy. There's karate monkeys, Frankenstein, video games, lots of dick & fart jokes, and Linda Cardellini doing sexy drunken karaoke to "Push It" by Salt 'n' Pepa. That's hot. Not sure how else to sell this movie to you. Check it out.


RIP Bo Diddley - Rock & Blues legend Bo Diddley died of heart failure at his Florida home yesterday at the age of 79. He influenced just about everybody to pick up a guitar and make something with it...and had a distinctive beat...but never reached the superstar status of those that he influenced. In 1955 Diddley appeared on "The Ed Sullivan Show" and was promptly banned from further appearances because he defied Sullivan's instructions to sing a cover song and instead performed his own hit "Bo Diddley." Diddley had harsh words for the direction black music had taken in recent years, telling Reuters that "gangsta" rap made his blood boil. "I hate it. I call it rap-crap," Diddley said in a 1996 interview. "I can't seem to get my records played but they'll play all this garbage." Well, I truly am sorry that your heartfelt rock wasn't exactly radio friendly...but your legend lives on, Mr. Diddley.


Well, there's really not much else to tell today. Been kind of a slow day just sitting here keeping busy and getting ready for something that may or may not happen...just like any other day really. Oh well, hopefully the Wingman's doing okay after his graduation thing and will want to go see Harold & Kumar...but if not, it's all good. I'm sure that I'll be able to entertain myself somehow. Any ideas? Gimme a call. In the meantime, have a great night!!! Let me know if any of you may be interested in buying my extra furniture and/or reading materials. Oh...and "Kung Fu Panda" comes out this weekend...so go support pandas in Hollywood...and think of my silly ass.

2 comments:

j.l. clyde said...

there goes my pen...

$teve said...

"I like to call it Lost Wages..."

Never going to use that one. Ah, direct mailing - the dry hump of marketing campaigns.

Where should I go next?