Saturday, June 7, 2008

6-7-08 Post

Good Evening Ladies & Gentlemen,

Haven't really done much today honestly. Ran a few errands, paid a few bills, boxed up some stuff...but other than that, just sat and watched an "Ax Men" marathon on the History Channel and went for a few walks to clear my head a bit (it didn't really work...but it was still a gorgeous stroll through the neighborhood). What's on my mind? You know it. Vegas. Oh well. Still a good excuse to clean up the crib a little bit. You know, go through my extensive book collection & separate out the ones that I can pass along to others, go through my wardrobe and get rid of old clothes that are too small (because I've had them since junior high) and set them aside as packing material or donate to charity, just take an inventory of stuff that I've accumulated over the years...and just decide what to do with it now. I even took a nap because I woke up a little early. It's a nice stroll down Memory Lane at least. Looked through some old yearbooks, photo albums, and decided to finally throw away a LOT of school stuff that I had amassed over the last decade or so. Why did I keep it? Good question. Probably laziness...or thinking that it might come in handy later. As for the rest of the day, really don't have any plans...but I'm sure that I'll make some calls and see what there is to do. In the meantime, here's some news...

The Agony of Defeat - Legendary sportscaster Jim McKay died today of natural causes at the age of 86. For more than forty years, he was one of the quintessential voices of narrated athletic activity...and the voice of "The Wide World of Sports" as well as the man who broke the tragedy of the 1972 Munich Olympics. Born James McManus, this WWII veteran went from newspaper to television and covered a dozen Olympics, ending with Slick City in 2002. He will be missed.

Wonder Woman Finds a Body - The gracefully-aged Lynda Carter, actress who played Wonder Woman in the 70's TV series, was out cruising the Potomac alone in her boat Wednesday when she saw a body floating in the water. She says she didn't have a cell phone with her, so she yelled to some fishermen and asked them to call police. Carter waited until rescuers arrived and directed them to the body. DC Police (District of Columbia, not DC Comics, I checked) say that the body was identified as 47-year old Helen Johnstone and they have yet to find a cause of death. Ms. Carter says she "did what anybody would have done (only sexier)." Okay, so I added the last part...but I think this mystery calls for...the Justice League. The only thing is...imagine being the fishermen on the other boat...when you see Wonder Woman floating around in the Invisible Boat...saying "Please call the police, good citizens." "Dude, we should stop drinking before noon." Best part about this story...is that I can post this picture in some kind of context. Yay!!!

Fly Derrie-Air - Readers of The Philadelphia Inquirer and Philadelphia Daily News (GO EAGLES!!!) opened their papers Friday to see ads for a new airline called Derrie-Air, which purportedly charges passengers by the pound...but this new carrier will never get off the ground. It's a one-day advertising campaign about a fake airline by Philadelphia Media Holdings, the papers' owner, and Gyro ad agency. Spokesman Jay Devine said the goal is to "demonstrate the power of our brands in generating awareness and generating traffic for our advertisers, and put a smile on people's faces." Visitors to the airline site learn that Derrie-Air is the world's only carbon-neutral luxury airline, and it justifies its fare policy by saying that it takes more fuel to move heavier objects. The carrier pledges to plant trees to offset every pound of carbon its planes release into the atmosphere. Derrie-Air's sample rates range from $1.40 per pound to fly from Philadelphia to Chicago to $2.25 per pound to fly from Philadelphia to Los Angeles. It even has a BS backstory of owner Dick Derrie growing up in Salamander, Missouri (a city so small it won't show up on any map). Only at the bottom did it mention that this airline was "fictitious" and says it is designed "to test the results of advertising in our print and online products and to stimulate discussion on a timely environmental topic of interest to all citizens. In other words, smile, we're pulling your leg." That's not my leg...but it's okay, I charge by the pound too. Brought back memories of me & the Wingman in school...making up BS companies and making websites & products. I love marketing.

Superhottie Ivanovic Wins the French Open - Now, you know that if I'm mentioning women's tennis on my blog...that means somebody really hot won something really important, wore something really sexy, or gave me her number. Well, the last one has still yet to happen...and tennis outfits can only be so sexy with current regulations (like players MUST wear undergarments) and physics (restriction of fun pillows to allow freedom of motion in the arms). Serbian superhottie Ana Ivanovic, the new hottest girl in women's tennis (now that Martina Hingis has officially retired) won the French Open final over Darina Safina...and will probably be named the number one female tennis player in the world...finally. "I feel so happy. I have no words to describe that. Winning a Grand Slam is something I dreamed since I was a little kid, so achieving that goal is very thrilling." After winning, she blew kisses to the crowd and used a chair to climb into the stands to hug family & friends. "I tried to call them to help me to come up, but they were hugging each other," Ivanovic said with a laugh. "I was like, 'Hey, what about me?'" and $teve missed his chance for a congratulatory grope...and to help a damsel in need of assistance. If I were about 10,000 miles closer...oh well, I dropped the ball. Maybe next time. Congratulations, Ms. Ivanovic. It is Miss, right?


Here was my chance...
I could have been one of those creepy old guys

Oh, you tease...

Changing for the press conference

"Can we please wrap this up? I have to meet this $teve guy."

"OH MY!!! Ana, what are you doing?"

"Oh, I see. That is a nice dress. Mmm, very nice."

Have a great night everybody!!!

No comments:

Where should I go next?