Saturday, April 12, 2008

KONG!!!

Good Evening Ladies & Gentlemen,

Thursday night was...interesting. I got off work earlier than usual and then almost immediately heard about a good coworker friend of mine Alisa resigning. Long story short, it was a ridiculous situation coming back from maternity leave (beautiful kid by the way) and she decided to resign. She texted me and we chatted that way for a while...but it may turn out to be a great thing for her. Everything happens for a reason...and I know that she would much rather spend time with her new son than even hanging around me. I know, it's hard to believe...but some people prefer that kind of stuff over casual meeting with me. Weird, right? She's gonna be okay. Still bugs me though. How much did it bug me? More on that later.

JL Clyde stopped by and we nerded out by watching the first, I think six episodes of Season 3 of the new Battlestar Galactica TV series. That show is awesome. Call me a nerd if you must (and probably should) but I just like the craziness of the show. Sure, there's super hot robots and humans abound...but there's also action, drama, Edward James Olmos (whose mother must have been an orange & he ate glass as a kid), plot twists, schizophrenia, confusion & conflict, a mix of mythology & future technology, and all the other stuff that just seem to intrigue me. Did I mention the robots? Did you know one of them is Lucy Lawless? Oh...and they say "Frack" every other word...and somehow it's okay on the Sci-Fi Network. Awesome show though. Let me know if you're ever interested in checking it out. Thanks for nerding out with me, Ms. Clyde.

Friday was my day off for the week...but after thinking about my job again (and the frackus over the last few months culminating), I decided that it was time to step up the search. I talked with a hiring manager at a possible employer in Vegas...and they suggested that I fill out the online application, send in my resume & other stuff, then they'll contact me shortly about possibilities. So I went to work to take care of all of that. I told Boss Lady, "I don't know if you've already heard through the grapevine or whatever...but I'm interested in applying for jobs in Vegas...and I was wondering if you could help me out." She was unaware...and seemed to have tears welling up a little bit over the following few minutes...but she understood and assisted me. While doing all the online paperwork (electrowork?) some of my coworkers asked what I was doing there on my day off (surprised I actually had one) and I told them. "Awesome!!! Vegas!!! Good luck with that, buddy." "You go there all the time anyway. What does your family think?" "Somebody misses Bubbles." True, I miss Bubbles...but that's not the only reason I'm really considering Vegas (as mentioned in the blog here and here).

As for what the family thinks, they're all supportive...and excited to come visit...and for me to visit, because they know that I will. After leaving work, I went to my dad's to hang out with him. He was pretty much the only one that had no idea now...and that was going to change. We ran errands like picking up medications and grocery shopping. He was obviously grateful of me being there because...well, I'm his boy...and also it saved him a lot of hassle grabbing stuff and getting it to the truck. Always glad to help...and I did a little stuff around the house while I was there too (mostly furniture moving). We talked about this & that, the Vegas trip, the rest of the family, and it really just because apparent how much alike we are...and a little scary too. In hanging out I noticed that we had similar tendencies in just about everything...and you may think that it's because we spent so much time together while I was growing up...but that really wasn't the case. Sure, it was more than a lot...but yeah, divorce & parents working opposite schedules can be tough on a kid. Must be genetics...or maybe just a good memory on my part...but I'm guessing genetics.

Eventually I worked into the conversation, "So...just so you know, I'm ugh...looking into getting a job somewhere else...probably out of state. As you know, it's become incredibly evident that progression in my current job is not going to happen...and I've looked into a few cities like New Orleans, Denver, San Diego...and as you could probably guess...the most appealing place is Las Vegas. (Listed off all the reasons why)" I kind of waited for his response, "You need to grow. You've grown bored. You're young...and you want to go to Vegas. I understand that. It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into it...but I'm going to warn you...don't settle jobwise. They have to make it worth your wild." "Of course. Moving's expensive...and I can ride this b**ch out worst-case and be fairly happy. Just need to get a hobby...or a girlfriend or something." "That's my boy." So much alike it's scary. So he's all for my move...and he's excited to visit...and apparently really proud of me, which is awesome...and very reassuring. See? I'm there for him....and he's there for me. That's what family & good buddies are for...and he's both. Great role model.

We watched "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story" starring John C. Reilly and what appears to be the entire cast of "The Office" and all those other movies from the guys who brought you "The 40 Year Old Virgin." Mostly cameos and stuff...but it's a hilarious parody of "Walk the Line", "Ray", and biographical movies in general. I suggest it if you get the chance, the songs are hilarious...and there's a monkey...and a scene with the Beatles (played by Jack Black, Paul Rudd, Justin Long, and Jason Biggs) that I couldn't stop laughing during.

After doing exercises and going for a walk, my stepmom came home and cooked us a fine meal. My stepmom is awesome. I don't know if I've mentioned that on here before...but just so you know, she rocks. Then we watched Peter Jackson's remake of "King Kong" on TNT...so it took a 2.5 hour movie...and spread it out over four hours with commercials. Honestly, who watches "The Closer"? There was an extra scene in the movie with a giant coelacanth fish or something destroying these makeshift rafts they made...which wasn't in theatres or the DVD release that I found. What is it about movies on TV that throw in these scenes that never see the light of day before? I like 'em. I know somewhere, there's alternate and extended versions of "Booty Call" and "Half Baked" because I've seen parts of them on Comedy Central. When are those classics going to be released?

Watching the movie also brought back thoughts of my ex-girlfriend Megan since we saw that in theaters when it was new. Good times. We spent half the time discussing things like: How do the people on Skull Island survive? What do they eat? Fish maybe? Do they send hunting parties into the jungle to come back with some of those giant bugs? The whole Kong / Naomi Watts relationship, are they just going to be friends? The simple physical nature would be...cumbersome to say the least. The scene where they're in Central Park and Kong's sliding on the frozen pond, wouldn't he be extremely cold...and maybe get some serious frostbite? Watch the scene again, you'll see what I mean. Anyway, it's a great show...and I liked it...even though I had to see a few dozen "Closer" & "Monk" commercials to see it. By the way, the fight scene with Kong & the three T-Rexes, f**king awesome!!!

When it got to be bedtime for my dad, Filly invited me over to watch some new South Park episodes so I went over there for a few hours. There's one new episode where a panda rips apart the Tron Guy and other Internet sensations while the WGA (World Canadian Bureau) goes on strike. It's simply worth watching for the Panda...and the Dramatic-Looking Gopher. The new one that's a remake of Heavy Metal is pretty good too. Anyway, check it out. Went home, slept like a baby.

Today, I woke up, did some jogging to the grocery store & back, then watched "The Omega Man" with the late great Charlton Heston. It's the second movie made from Richard Matheson's novel that spawned "Last Man On Earth" with Vincent Price, this movie, and the new "I Am Legend" with Will Smith. This one...was easily the worst of the three. It was still pretty good...given that it was made in the seventies...but this was a kind of 70's blaxploitation remake...with Charlton Heston firing off Uzis, a sassy afro female lead, and a horde of crazy albinos wearing cloaks and seeking to destroy women & children for purification of the land. It's not that bad of a movie...but I liked the other two adaptations much better. Luckily, I texted JJ and had a text conversation (free unlimited texts for a lot of my friends in case you were wondering why I have these kinds of conversations) about how she's liking Denver...and she bought a new couch.


Anyway, that's about all I've got going on right now. I'll keep you posted as things transpire...but the past few days have just been a lot of thinking about this & that...and I try to keep this thing somewhat entertaining. More tomorrow...have a great night!!!

2 comments:

Alisa said...

Everyone's on your side for Vegas; go for it! It seems like the timing is right for you. So what exactly did you apply for? And you haven't gotten the job yet, right? Heard anything? It is nice to know that you agree with this whole work thing being a joke; when I was talking this out with a certain someone to find out my options she made guidelines/possibilities sound strict and so much more restrained than they were when I left around, well to be exact... 2/12/08. Hmf. But I've always known I can do MUCH better than a call center... reason I kept that job was those AMAZING travel benefits. Us smart people take advantage of those. Oh and great people at work. But Friday AM I logged into Outlook, wrote up a brief farewell, tried to send it... must not have the capability; I don't think it went out ): They were quick to remove my name from... whatever. I am going on and on but I was going to say I went with the fam last night to see the IMAX Shine A Light with Rolling Stones. It was awesome! Specially if you love the Stones, so I recommend it but it seems like you are more of an actual movie movie buff so I don't know that you enjoy movie concerts. Jack White plays a song with Mick and it showed how he cameoed as Elvis in the Walk Hard movie.

Just bits and pieces, I have no idea what I just wrote. Have a great night! My hubby plays with Slow Ride at the Huka Bar tonight if you have nothing going on; get the word out if you get this in the next hour or so! It's sad I can't go to his shows for now ):

$teve said...

I just sent a text out to some of the night owls like Brooklyn, so we'll see if I can get some people in attendance. :)

I really am sorry for how all that worked out...but you're absolutely right, you are too good for a call center. That's why they have the travel benefits, to trick us. :)

As for Vegas, I applied for Rooms Controller...but they already started with interviews and stuff (been up for 5 weeks) so we'll see how it goes. No job yet...but I have an impressive resume, especially within the company. I'll keep ya posted. You'll have to send me your Yahoo email or something so I can go in more detail.

Not a big Stones fan...but it's directed by Scorsese, so I'm sure that I'll check out that Shine a Light. I hear good things. :)

Where should I go next?