Sunday, April 27, 2008

27 Guesses

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

Well, let's see. Friday, after posting, I went to my dad's to hang out and watch movies. When I showed up, his face looked a little bruised. "Did she beat you? Do you need me to take care of business?" "No no, I have some kind of sinus infection or something. The doctor's gave me antibiotics...but we're not going to be able to take you out to dinner tonight. Your stepmom's sick. I hope you don't mind." "Not at all, dude. Your guy's health is more important than T.G.I. Friday's Jalapeno Poppers...but it's close." So yeah, my birthday dinner will be next Friday...which is cool because we were going to go see the matinee of "Iron Man" anyway. Everything happens for a reason...and they're feeling much better now, which is what's important.

My dad & I watched "Stephen King's The Mist" which I had seen before...and I think that I've told you before that it's a really well done movie (director of "Green Mile" & "Shawshank Redemption") but a few situations in the movie...and especially the horrible ending will probably make you hate this movie. My suggestion: Watch it...get into it and take advantage of the great anticipation, fear of the unknown dangers, steadily growing danger from within with the Jonestown Syndrome thing going on in the store...and then stop the movie at about one hour and 45 minutes in. The last ten minutes or so...will just make you hate this movie...and I heard somewhere that Stephen King didn't like it at all...because it was his story...and he didn't really write an ending to it...but Hollywood needs an ending. Anyway, I say give it a shot if you're into semi-gory, thrilling horror movies. If not, watch one of those "From the Guys Who Brought You 40-Year Old Virgin" movies. There are plenty to choose from.

After that, we watched "Cloverfield" and I was told time & time again...that the movie was okay...but it's basically a mix of "The Blair Witch Project" and "Godzilla" and shouldn't bother...but for the price of a rental (that my dad handled), I thought that it was worth a shot. My review: It was much better than I was expecting...but yeah, it's "Blair Witch" meets "Godzilla" and you'll pray that the cameraman gets killed very early into the movie...but then, who would film all this stuff? It's actually pretty good...but there's obviously a few points where your reaction to the stuff being videotaped is "Why would they be taping this?" but it's to give a backstory and all that fun stuff that's apparently required for a motion picture...allegedly. My dad & I through both of these movies kept yelling stuff at the screen like "Why are you standing there staring at the monsters? RUN!!! RUN!!! They're going to eat you...just like the guy you're watching them eat." or "You hear a noise? RUN!!! Get above ground. Where there's light...and space...so that you can see them coming." or "Grab the axe!!! Use it!!!" We think a lot alike. We would probably do okay if in a horror movie situation...but then it wouldn't be as exciting...or gory...so it wouldn't be a blockbuster. Anyway, "Cloverfield" is pretty good...but you've seen it before...with dubbing...and a few scenes are taken directly from "Blair Witch Project." "I am so scared right now" with the snot dripping. Yeah, I hate to laugh at other people's suffering...but it was just so funny to me.

After the movies, we watched some basketball...and my dad asked me occasionally about players that he had never seen before...because he knows that I'm an encyclopedia or useless basketball knowledge, strategy, and player profiles. I enjoy it...and Hubie Brown and some of the other former professionals turned commentators agree with stuff that I say...but a few minutes after I tell my dad. It always amuses him...and me too. Anyway, before I knew it, eleven o'clock rolled around so I went home.

Yesterday was my 27th birthday...and the plan was to have my mom show up around 9 AM so that we could hang out, then my brother & his family would show up a little later, then we'd go to the zoo or something. Well, as it turned out, my mom & brother's family showed up between noon & 1:30, and it was too cold allegedly for the zoo, so we went to Chuck E. Cheese. That's right, I had my 27th birthday party at the residence of Charles Edward Cheese, jr. It was awesome...and it had been about twenty years since I had seen one. It was a good time...and the kids (Vinny, Kairi, Kelaudri, and my 12 year old cousin Alicia) had fun. Here are the pictures.

Here are the kids playing with RoboPanda
I still think it's creepy...but Kelaudri loves it
My mom, Ashley, and my end table...with Panda
and Gort lamp...how do you think you turn him on?
My new haircut, Vinny, and my mom
Kairi & Quagmire
"Where are you going, sweetie?"
I kid you not, she reached out to touch
Bettie Page's ass...and said, "Nice!"
I almost crapped myself it was so funny.
"Yes it is, sweetie. Yes it is."
Is it just me...or does Chuck look stoned?
Hey, they're hiring...at $7 an hour
I remember these guys...
Kairi loved the animatronic characters
Mom & a wide-eyed Vinny
Clowns are just creepy...
Fatherhood - "If you push the boost button behind a car,
you can jump right over them. Zoom zoom zoom!!!"
Skee Ball kicks ass...
...but punching ducks is so much more satisfying.
Best deal at Chuck E. Cheese!!!
These pictures are a quarter
Here's my brother & sister-in-law
Kairi, Alicia, and Kelaudri
Me, my mom, & Vinny
Apparently my mother was confused...
and really looks the part in this picture

After Chuck's, we were all pretty tired...so we went back to my place so that everybody could sleep in my bed or relax on the couch...and apparently let kids run around with cake. Yeah, I'm cleaning up around my apartment this morning...and finding little surprises everywhere. It's groovy. "Oh look, dirty diapers in my trash. Yummy." Oh well. I'll consider it a birthday present from the kids. While resting there, my buddies Bartles & Jaymes invited us to a housewarming barbecue in Brigham City...so we made arrangements for me to get out there...and get driving back by my stepdad (because he was coming in today for a model tank convention anyway). so I went there. Good times. They have a nice crib out there...and being a dairy farmer, there was plenty of meat on the barbecue. My sister-in-law showed off their wedding photos...and if I get a copy of them eventually, I'll have to show you some of them. It was a beautiful wedding...and I look pretty fly in a suit. I can't lie. Plus I had the facial hair, all my brothers were there, I was the Best man, it was a good one...and just before I started blogging. So yeah, maybe someday I'll scan a copy of those and share them. I'm sure they won't mind...since they show everybody they get a chance to.

This morning, after sleeping on my brother's couch, my mom woke me up with a phone call: "So...did you guys arrange for a way for you to get home?" "Ugh...yeah, Lavar's coming to pick me up. Remember?" "Oh, I thought you guys had made other arrangements." "Um...no? Because we decided that Lavar was going there anyway...so that's why I came to town." Sometimes I think my mom has a little bit of the Alzheimer's or something...because she tends to forget things...but it's okay, because I love her...and I'm there to help her out. So my stepdad came & gave me a ride back to Slick City...but dropped me off downtown, so I took Trax for the first time...and it was pretty cool. Speaking of which, the Frontrunner train from Ogden to Slick City started yesterday...on my birthday. Awesome. It's about time they finally had some kind of real public transportation here...but it's just in time for me to move to Vegas. Better late then never, I guess.

I wasn't feeling well this morning...because my brother's place is kinda messy, especially on his couch...so I'm hoping to get the day off work...and the supercool Camb is helping me out with that...but we shall see. Since I got home, I showered, and drank a lot of OJ to get over it...but yeah, I'd rather not work today. Not because I got drunk or anything yesterday (not a drop actually) but because...it's my birthday weekend...and I wanna relax...before I get a little sick for working during the week, when they probably need me there.

Anyway, that'll do it for today. Hopefully I'll be more entertaining tomorrow...but I'd like to thank all the cool cats who wished me a happy birthday yesterday - Bubbles, Cat, Alisa, Mickey, Heater, J-Dub, Lilie, JL Clyde, and all the others!!! Thank you so much!!! You guys rock...and I hope that your weekends were even more entertaining than mine. Have a groovy Sunday!!! GO EAGLES!!! Great pick with DeSean Jackson!!! I knew you were going to draft him...but luckily a round later than I expected. WOOOOO!!!

2 comments:

Bone Junior said...

Happy Birthday!! It looks like you had a blast. And by the way, I love that your brother was wearing an Eagles t-shirt. Oh yeah. I noticed.

$teve said...

'Twas a blast. You'll never guess whose shirt he's borrowing because my nephew yacked on his... :)

Where should I go next?