Wednesday, April 16, 2008

We Dance the Mamushka!!!

Good Evening Ladies & Gentlemen,

Happy 119th birthday to screen legend Sir Charles Spencer Chaplin, jr. a.k.a. "The Tramp" a.k.a. Charlie Chaplin. Chaplin became one of the most famous actors as well as a notable director, composer and musician in the early to mid Hollywood cinema era. He is considered to have been one of the finest mimes and clowns ever caught on film and has greatly influenced performers in this field. He acted in, directed, scripted, produced, and eventually scored his own films. Chaplin was also one of the most creative and influential personalities in the silent-film era. His working life in entertainment spanned over 65 years, from the Victorian stage and music hall in the United Kingdom as a child performer, almost until his death at the age of eighty-eight. Chaplin's high-profile public and private life encompassed highs and lows with both adulation and controversy. That was ripped right from Wikipedia honestly, but please feel free to stop by my house and we can watch some of the old silent movies that I have of him…or "Chaplin" starring Robert Downey, jr. as the Tramp…and Milla Jovovich as one of his many affairs. Great flick. Anyway, happy birthday Sir Charles Chaplin!!!


Yesterday was the 49th birthday of Thomas Francis Wilson, the actor that played Biff Tannen on the "Back to the Future" movies and Coach Ben Frederichs on the TV series "Freaks & Geeks." He also does a lot of voice-over work on cartoons and guest spots on TV shows. Just thought I'd wish him a happy birthday because he seems like a cool guy.


Today started with me jogging to the store to pick up some groceries, then my dad called shortly after to talk about getting a rental car while in Vegas four weeks from today. We set that up...and then I asked what he was doing today, "Healing." "Cool. Mind if I come hang out?" "Not at all." So I went over there and we hung out and watched "In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale" the latest from director Uwe Boll, who specializes in bad video game adaptations. This movie was a lot better than any other that I've seen from him. Again, it had an amazing cast including Jason Statham, Ron Perlman, Burt Reynolds, Matthew Lillard, Leelee Sobieski, Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, and Ray Liotta. It's the story of a Farmer...named Farmer (Statham) whose son is killed during an attack by...well, basically orcs led by a wizard(Ray Liotta) and his wife (hottie from "Meet Joe Black") is captured. So he, his buddy (Ron Perlman), and others fight for the king (Burt Reynolds) to destroy this wizard. It looked a LOT like the Lord of the Rings...and was incredibly good...for an Uwe Boll movie. Oh yeah...there's ninjas...and superhottie Kristianna Lokken ("Bloodrayne" & "Terminator 3") is the leader of the tree nymphs...who attack Cirque de Soleil style...and magicians...and knights on horses. I was half expecting Blue Men to attack as well as part of this Vegas-style army. Quite entertaining. I'd say check it out. Especially if you've heard of the "Dungeon Siege" game before...which I hadn't.


After that movie, we flipped through the channels and found "The Addams Family" movie on TV Land...and I absolutely love that movie. Could watch it over and over again...mostly for the incredible one-liners...and I like to think of myself as a bit of Gomez, just looking for my Morticia. They're just so infatuated with one another...that there's absolutely nobody else in the world when they're together. I like that. Plus it kind of reminds me of my own kooky family...and it's hilarious throughout. Then I had to go to work, so here's some news...


Breast Cancer Update - According to new studies, mushroom tips may help prevent breast cancer, the sexy killer. Allow me to elaborate a bit. Lab tests have shown that extracts from a mushroom used for centuries in Eastern Asian medicine may stop breast cancer cells from growing. The mushroom called Phellinus Linteus has a marked anti-cancer effect, probably by blocking an enzyme called AKT, which is known to control signals that lead to cell growth. Phellinus linteus is also called Song Gen in Chinese medicine, Sang-Hwang in Korean and Meshimakobu in Japanese. It has previously been shown to have anti-tumor properties on skin, lung and prostate cancer cells. So…mushroom tips may help prevent breast cancer. Remember that the next time a Doctor (Love) offers you a mushroom tip. It might just save your life…or at least be the start of a wonderful evening.


Macaque Sentenced to Death - In the British colony of Gibraltar (home of the other Rock), a pack of at least 25 of Gibraltar's famous Macaque (Ma-Cock) monkeys are being killed because they are threatening human health in the popular tourism areas. "The decision was not taken lightly. It is a last resort." Tourism Minister Ernest Britto said. Gibraltar's residents have long lived alongside the monkeys or macaques, but Britto said the behavior of one pack had got out-of-hand in Catalan Bay and Sandy Bay. "Children are frightened, people cannot leave their windows open for fear of the monkeys stealing, apes can bite and contact with them runs the risk of salmonella or hepatitis." Are monkeys allowed to vote in Gibraltar? No? Then if they're posing a threat, put 'em down. Don't get me wrong, I like monkeys. Allegedly there are monkeys in my family tree. However, if the pigeons in San Marco Square in Venice are attacking tourists like something out of a Hitchcock movie, they'd be put down too. Monkeys have bigger brains. They should know better. I'm guessing the 25 humane executions are to show the other couple hundred who's in charge.


However, the International Primate Protection League said it was considering calling on tourists to boycott Gibraltar if the local government did not stop the cull. "It is clear that the Government of Gibraltar is still not managing their population of macaques in a responsible manner, despite the fact that they undoubtedly boost the nation's economy as arguably their most popular tourist attraction," said Helen Thirlway, head of IPPL. Well, as Commander of the Coalition for the Liberation of Itinerate Tree dwellers (CLIT), I disagree with the methods of that the Gibraltar government are using…and offer a solution. Ship the troublemaking Macaques to the Hogle Zoo here in Utah…and both sides will be satisfied. The IPPL gets to know that they're being cared for by a zoological society…and the monkeys will certainly die within a few years time…because that seems to be the way of the Hogle Zoo…but at least kids will get to see them. Just a suggestion…I'm full of them.


Well, that'll probably do it for me today. You may be wondering why I put so many news clips in this thing...and it's basically because my life has been pretty boring the past few weeks especially. I expect it to turn around real soon...but until then, I hope I'm still able to entertain you...especially if you're just checking me out while bored at work or something. Try to keep your laughter down though in public, don't want the boss to catch you. Have a great night everybody!!!

4 comments:

Alisa said...

Monkeys scare me. When I was in the Guatemalan jungle with friends there were howler monkeys surrounding us and they make the sound that is exactly like a lion's roar; the sound is larger than life. I can't even look at one close-up on a computer monitor! I would agree with putting them down, sad as it is.

$teve said...

Sorry to scare you like that. :) Most monkeys are pretty much hideous creatures...but there are some cute ones...and those are the ones that you have to watch out for. They'll pick you pocket and take your magic lamp to some punk thief in Hammer pants...then the craziness ensues.

JLee said...

Happy Birthday to Biff! haha
"why don't you make like a tree..."
you know the rest. lol

$teve said...

Here's the thing. Until I was into my twenties, I really didn't know how it ended. I just thought it was something stupid that Biff said...and yet, I didn't know that "...and leave." Yeah, I know, it's explained in Part II but I guess I was laughing too hard at the old Biff beating around the young Biff with an almanac. Anyway, know you know. :)

Where should I go next?