Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Churchill Was A Myth

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

Last night, I went home and watched "Death Sentence" from director James Wan starring Kevin Bacon, Kelly Preston, John Goodman, and others. It's actually a pretty good movie...but I'm going to warn you, it's rated R for strong brutal bloody violence (direct quote from MPAA warning). It's the story a senior VP father (Kevin Bacon) whose eldest son is killed as an initiation for a gang (apparently they do it randomly during gas station heists) and because the legal system kind of screws him over, he goes back for revenge to kill the man who killed his sun. You know, the whole Code of Hammurabi, eye for an eye thing. He does. The gang member's brother now wants revenge. They find out who killed who...and more killing happens. It's actually a very brutal and realistic storytelling...but what impressed me the most was Kevin Bacon's performance...and some of the incredible continuous camera shots (you'll recognize it during the parking complex scene, it's quite well done). Lots of shotguns, a lot of questioning who is right & who is wrong, more violence, Aisha Tyler, and then rap it up with some unnecessary dialogue that expresses the message of the movie.


Tomorrow, I get to take part in a survey on my day off to collect a few bucks. Big ups to Mr. Wingman for hooking me up with that gig. Other than that, not much going on. Still no dating life. Apparently the girl that my stepsister was trying to hook me up with is "seeking other opportunities" and Maya is nowhere to be found in my realm. Oh well. A bunch of my friends are moving to various other jobs in the next few weeks...but hopefully they'll still keep in touch. It's the best move for them though down the road. As for me, still many possibilities...but no real need to pursue them at this point when so much is in limbo. Do I stay in the Wasatch Front? Do I try for a real big money job in another city? New Orleans? Vegas? Vail? Vermont? Venice? Vanuatu? For now, I'm content and happy to stay near my family...but who knows when/if I have a family of my own. Luckily, that's many many many many years down the road. At the rate that I'm going, I wouldn't hold my breath...not that you would.


Churchill Was A Myth - British television station UKTV Gold surveyed 3,000 Britons about certain figures in British history, both real & fictional, and some of the findings were appalling.


  • 23% thought Winston Churchill was made up

  • 47% thought Richard the Lionheart (bad guy in "Braveheart") was made up

  • 23% thought Florence Nightingale was made up

  • 58% thought Sherlock Holmes was REAL

What does this mean? It's not just American schools where the lines between reality & fiction are being blurred. Please, encourage your children to read…real books, like biographies & history...because nobody wants their child to be the adult on "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?" and lose. The world really doesn't need any more Kellie Picklers.


Not a Laughing Matter…Sort Of - Joseph Grimaldi is considered by many as the father of modern clowning. This past week marked the annual celebration of his legacy at the Holy Trinity Church in east London. Grimaldi was born in the late 18th century, and began performing publicly at age 3. A skilled mime, acrobat, magician and a consummate physical performer, he popularized many of clowning's trademark tricks, including thieving long strings of sausages (wow!). Grimaldi, who died in 1837, is credited with inventing the white face-paint and two red triangles that still grace many clowns' cheeks. The first memorial service was held in 1946 and moved to Holy Trinity in 1959. Reverend Rose Hudson-Wilkin said the clowns had a religious role to play, "In the Bible, in the New Testament, it talks about us being fools for Christ and in a sense they clown around, they fool around, and they try to help people see the lighter side of life." We should all be clowns…at least the uncreepy kind…if there is such a thing. I'll be perfectly happy with being a funny guy…who doesn't wear makeup.

Crazy Trick Coach Resigns - Bobby Knight, the winningest coach in men's NCAA basketball history resigned from his post at Texas Tech University. TTU Chancellor Ken Hance said, "He said he was tired and that it was best to go ahead and do it now. I think Bob is through with coaching. I think he got to the point where it wasn't fun for him. He thought about it Sunday all day and talked to his wife and decided 'This is something I want to do." I say good for him…though it kind of puts the University in a bind…not that that's ever stopped him from being a jackass before…but whatever. Knight himself was not available for comment…but honestly, that's a good thing…because I'm sure that when he does speak about the resignation, that he'll be a bitter jackass towards the media…but show proper respect to the universities that hired him and the players that he coached (and choked) over the years. In reality, Bob Knight probably isn't as bad a guy as I make him out to be. He's probably a good family man and all…but it's so hard for me to get over the fact that he reacts the way that he does about everything. Edison once said, "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it" and I like to live by that notion. That being said, I think Coach Knight is a trick…and I'm glad that he decided to hang up his whistle. Hopefully he stays that way and enjoys his family for the rest of his life.

Crazy Trick Mayor Resigns - Remember last week when I passed along the story of the crazy mayor of Alice, Texas that stole a friend's Shih Tzu and got caught? No, well here's the link to that day. Anyway, she's resigning now so that her city doesn't get embarrassed by her actions. Too late problem…but I'm sure the full amount of the embarrassment is directly on her crazy ass…not the townspeople who voted her in. Actually…maybe it does speak poorly of them too. Nah, she was probably a good bullspitter. I should run for mayor someday. I have no incriminating past (that I can't talk my way out of). I have a good head on my shoulders (and in my pants). I'm fairly well informed…and if I don't know, I found out from the source and/or experts in the field in question. I'm fairly good looking…and HUGE. I can even direct my own campaign commercials. Always dressed to kill…and I know that I would have a loyal legion of speech writers (could probably do myself by Mr. Wingman was professional experience in these matters), stylists, promoters, arm candy, benefit bookers, and other people to help me out…on a budget. Hell, maybe I should do that. It's an election year, right? Would you vote for me?

Movie Night Tomorrow - I've decided to have a Movie Night tomorrow if there's anybody interested. Festivities will start…let's say around 8 or 9 PM and last until I kick everybody out because I want to go to bed for one reason (tired) or the other (bow chicka bow wow). The movie is not certain. There are many to choose from…but I'm liking "Joe versus the Volcano" because Bubbles & I had a discussion about fluorescent lights at our work stealing our souls…and she has never seen that movie. It's my favorite Tom Hanks / Meg Ryan flick EVER!!! Lloyd Bridges is awesome too. Anyway, we shall see. Come on, come all…and bring a hot, single female friend who likes tall guys. I also rented "Across the Universe", "Tommy Boy", and "The Assassination of Jesse James Blah Blah Blah Blah" so plenty of options there.


Anyway, have a great day everybody!!! Hope to see ya around. Peace!!!

2 comments:

Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

I'll have to rent Death Sentence some time when the wife's away. She doesn't dig violent movies.

BTW, you'd probably be pretty damn good at the game Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon. Ever play that?

My daughter rented an interesting one from the 80s the other night. the movie was called Girls Just Want to Have Fun. It starred Sarah Jessica Parker, Helen Hunt, and Shannen Doherty -- an unusual mix that I mention because it'd probably be a handy one to know during a game of Six Degrees of Kevin B. (Not as good as, say, A Few Good Men, though. If you ever play that game, that one's the best to keep in mind.)

$teve said...

I've actually never played 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon. I might be okay at it. Who knows? SJP, Helen Hunt, and Shannen Doherty, eh? I might have to remember that one if the situation ever arises. I'm just a big Bacon fan...as my profile states. Usually Kevin's brother Hickory Smoked and his sister Honey Glazed get more attention from me than him. I've actually never seen Footloose...but I have seen Hot Rod. Does that count?

Where should I go next?