Saturday, December 15, 2007

Congratulations Ashley!!!

Good afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

I want to take this time to congratulate my sister-in-law Ashley once again for receiving a full-ride scholarship courtesy of the Ibarra Foundation so that she can complete her Associates in Medical Assisting. Oh yeah...and she's carrying a ginormous baby in her belly for the next few months too. She had an awards ceremony in her honor (and other recipients) last night and here's a shot that my brother sent me from it. Congratulations again!!! I really can't say enough how proud I am of her and all that she has done...and will continue to do.

By the way, I would highly recommend anybody that has ever thought about going to college...but thought they didn't have the money to do it...to pursue any and all scholarships...but primarily minority scholarships. Why specifically minority scholarships? Because it's a way to make racism work for you...and to help you get an education. Last I checked, it was illegal to offer a scholarship specific to Caucasian students...but if you qualify for a Hispanic, African-American, Pacific Islander, Native American, or any other scholarship, I say go for it. I honestly have no problem with them because we need an educated populous in this country...even if it's a little quirky how it's funded, based on the color of your skin rather than the content of your character. No biggie to me though. College is expensive...and getting more expensive every year. You could buckle down and sacrifice your social life by working full-time and going to school full-time for...well too damn long. Or you could get a scholarship and get the exact same piece of paper at a fraction of the cost.

Being 1/16th Ottawa, I probably could've gotten a full scholarship (besides the one I was offered to Weber State years ago) but I was an idiot and thought that I'd do it on my own. Not the best decision, but it lead to a series of events that brought me to where I am today and I can't hate on that. College is an incredible experience...and I think that everybody should at least try it, and I mean whole-heartedly try it...even if it's just an Intro to Psychology class or something like that. It can broaden your horizons.

Quick Sports Rant - There has been a lot of hustle & bustle over the past few years about racism in the hiring process of professional and collegiate football & basketball coaches. Most recently, when Bobby Petrino completely burned the NFL's Atlanta Falcons to go to the University of Arkansas only a few days after the job opened up. Now, they face angry letters from the NAACP and other firms because they didn't interview any African-American coaches for the position. Well, Petrino was their #1 option that was available (technically, he wasn't even available...it was like Phil Jackson saying "Screw it, I'm going to coach basketball in Japan. Konichiwa, Tokyo"). The institution should be free to hire whoever they want...and in a timely manner, if needed (not that this was the best example...just most recent). Also, if they decide not to hire minority coaches, that's their problem. They miss out on some great coaches like Tony Dungy, Lovie Smith, Art Shell, Mike Tomlin, and others...and that would just effect their program. Also, there are a LOT of Pacific Islanders in the college and pro football game, why aren't they up in arms about there never being ONE Samoan coach? Interesting...but maybe they just haven't realized it yet. An apology ahead of time to BYU, Utah, USC, and the other programs that may be affect by a movement like that...but I figure the picketing should be equal as well. However, it's always weird to me that when I see a Million Man March on Washington led by Al Sharpton on TV, it's called a rally...but when I see a couple rednecks saying "They took 'ur jobs", it's racism. Equal opportunity for all people. That's my vision. I'm sorry if I offended anyway...but it's just stuff that I notice...and this is my blog...for now.

Anyway, after their dinner & ceremony, they decided to stop by and hang out with me for a few hours and play Rock Band (I think they may be getting it for Christmas). A great time was had by all...and my brother's a hell of a drummer for a beginner. Remember, after Christmas keep an eye out for DeSexy Dragons as we start our world tour 2008. Starting in Amsterdam...and coming to a town near you. ROOOOOCK!!!

This morning, I had laundry to do...and I realized that I have an incredibly odd thing that I do when I'm alone and bored...doing boring chores or anything else really...or really bored at work late at night too...and that is I sing about the stupid stuff that I'm doing. Granted, it's more R. Kelly than Randy Newman...but it's still quite intriguing now that I realize it...and therefore blog about it. For example, this morning I realized that I was singing entirely to myself "Doing laundry with no pants on...separating the darks for the liiiiights. Head is poundin', eyes are crusty...shouldn't had so many drinks last niiiiight. Where the hell did this shirt come from? WHERE the hell did I get this shirt from? And I get no answers...one, maybe I just never wear it, two, maybe my brother shared it, three, I dare not say oh hell I dare it, straight from my heart I'll grit and bear it. I think the aliens exchanged it for a superfreak...who I haven't seen in over a week. I'm talkin' bout FOXY!!! Or maybe that sock that I lost last week. I'm talkin' bout SOXY!!!" Yeah, it goes on and on...so I'm going to stop it there. Trust me, it sounds slightly better in person (and probably more disturbing). I enjoy it...and that's what matters. I only hope that you guys can feel the same joy when you 'make asses of yourself' in the privacy of your own home...or in public.

Dr. Love at Your Service - Unfortunately, not all my ladyfriends are going through the same time of joy that I am...so I'm more than happy to try to help. The only problem is...the best that I can really do is just try to make them laugh...or give them the usual reassuring words of encouragement. Why? My longest relationship was three months. I'm not incredibly emotional. I tend to focus on the bright side of EVERYTHING. I put a whole lot of faith in Karma and the concept of "It could be a hell of a lot worse" and stuff like that. That's why when somebody tells me that a long-time relationship falling apart in a horrible way, the only thing I can usually say is stuff like "Man, that sucks. Oh well, f**k 'em...better yet, don't f**k 'em...there are over three billion other guys out there and I'll bet there are AT LEAST a few dozen that you'll meet that are AT LEAST ten times better than that chicken giz stain. I'm glad you guys broke up. You deserve better. Why are you wasting your tears on that piece?" You know...the usual stuff that ladies here from their angry, bitter female friends...but I guess, coming from a guy, either they see me as their gay friend (they should know better reading this blog), an unlicensed therapist that goes by Dr. Mookie Love for legal purposes, or just a good shoulder to cry on...and ladies, I really don't care how you see it...as long as it's working in its own little way. You'll be fine. Ob-la-di, ob-la-da, Life Goes On. Now, let's go have a drink or something (typical guy response). This goes not just for relationships...but also career moves, moving to another state, losing loved ones, and other stress-related stuff. I may not be licensed...but I'm cheap...and my door's always open (unless I'm out of the country on business).

Remember that Dunkin Donuts employee that beat that guy with a mug? Dustin Hoffmann? Here's the link to a news video about the incident. Enjoy!!!

So It's NOT Just Me? - I think it's fair to say that all of us have broken up with boyfriends / girlfriends / lovers at least once in our lifetimes. Some were broken off with heated arguments in which the authorities were called in, others were mutual separations, even some where we sent in a friend to tell the other that it's over (no matter how 3rd grade that is). Apparently though, I'm not the only one to get dumped via text message. According to this survey, one in seven people have suffered this same fate via text message or email. Wow. That's...a little sad, in my opinion. This article I read used the word "cowardly" but I think that's a little harsh. I can understand not wanting to have a potentially-teary situation (especially if the dude's going to cry...because that's REALLY sad) but, again in my humble personal opinion, it should be a little more personal than using that annoying acronym language and :(, emoticons. Oh well, this blog isn't going to change anything about how relationships are broken up...but I was just glad to know that I'm not the only one to be in formed that it's not working out on a shitty Sanyo cell phone...even if I knew it was coming. To further prove my point as to how weak of a way it is, K-Fed & Britney broke up that way. Beat that.


On a lighter note, I'm at work now...and have to get back to hanging out with Bubbles...so have a great day...and I'll try to be a little more upbeat tomorrow instead of talking about racism, relationships, and therapy. I just have to let that stuff out once in a while. You know? You know...and hopefully you're able to deal with it the same way that I can. If not, you know where I'm at...and I'm always happy to help 24 hours a day (please don't call during the Booty Call hours though...unless you mean business). Have a great weekend everybody!!!

2 comments:

JLee said...

3 months is your longest relationship?? Dude! And your friends listen to relationship advice? lol

I could not afford college so didn't go. Too bad there wasn't a blonde scholarship!

$teve said...

Yeah, it's weird right? It may have something to do with the fact that I have yet to have a relationship end badly (knock on wood) but then again, it may just be the fact that they have somebody to talk to. You should hear some of my parenting advice. One day, I may share with you my Potato Theory...but we'll save that for another time.

There's not a Blonde Scholarship? That's outrageous!!! We should start a Million Blonde March on Austin. I guarantee it'll be more televised than ANY march on Washington. I'll get Hef on the phone and get this thing started.

Where should I go next?