Friday, June 29, 2007

I'm With Busey


Well, Gary Busey is 63 years young today. Yes, one of the creepiest men in the world survived another year. He seems like a great guy...and I miss his show on Comedy Central "I'm with Busey" but he is just genuinely creepy somehow. Don't get me wrong. Like you, back in the day, I often mistook him for Nick Nolte too. It was about the time that Nick Nolte was voted Sexiest Man on Earth (by WHO???) that I realized they were two separate people (yet still never seen at the same place at the same time). Look to the left & you tell me which is which. It's uncanny I tell you. I've enjoyed his body of work as an actor as well. "Point Break" - classic. "Chasing Ghosts" - great movie with ensemble cast. "Black Sheep" - Hilarious, I still quote him. Did you know that he had Bruce Lee movies on Laserdisc BEFORE everybody else did? "Predator 2", "Lethal Weapon", "The Buddy Holly Story", the list goes on & on. His son Jake is even a pretty accomplished actor...with the same creepy Busey smile when he wants it (see "The Frighteners"). The man also has a slew of acronyms that I feel I must share with you.

FEAR - False Evidence Appearing Real - It's the darkroom where Satan develops his negatives.
FAILING - Finding Another Important Lesson, Inviting Needed Growth
SOBER - Son Of a B**ch, Everything's Real!!!
ROMANCE - Relying On Magnificent And Necessary Compatible Energy
Happy Birthday, Mr. Busey!!!

However, you may be asking me, "$teve, you say he's ONE of the creepiest men in the world. So who else do you consider creepy in the film world?" I'm glad you asked. Christopher Walken is hilarious to me...but quite creepy. Willem Dafoe is easily the most frightening Jesus that I've ever seen or could even really imagine ("Last Temptation of Christ" - imagine the Passion directed by Martin Scorsese). He seems better suited to play Satan than a Saint. Having never met these men, I couldn't tell you if they're creepy all the time...or just as a niche for their trade as actors...but until I bump into them at Sundance or 7-11, my feelings will probably remain the same...or even if I meet them, they may just be confirmed.

NFL Europa was ceased operations. After the championship game last week in which the Hamburg Sea Devils won the World Bowl, the league decided to refocus on maximum exposure of the NFL itself instead of this developmental league. I've never been to an NFL game...but one partly cloudy afternoon in Glasgow in 2004, I saw an NFL Europe game featuring the Scottish Claymores & the Amsterdam Admirals. As the game started, William Wallace himself appeared on the big screen & gave a rousing speech to the players & fans. "They may take our lives...but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!!!" Apparently the stakes are a little higher in NFL Europe. In a partially filled soccer stadium, I couldn't help but wonder...how did I get such great tickets for only ten bucks (six pounds)??? It was great. Me & some of the older ladies from the Omaha office (go Cornhuskers) enjoyed us some good American Football on an otherwise rainy shopping day. Former NFL Europe player Dante Hall (now of the Kansas City Chiefs) made an appearance at halftime wearing a kilt (picture at a later date...if I remember). There were cheerleaders & a saucy girl band for entertainment. A great game overall...but now, if I wish to see professional football first-hand in an outdoor environment...I will have to spend several hundred dollars for transportation to Denver, tickets, food & beverage...but at least the hotel will be covered (thanks job).

Anyway, I guess that'll do me for today. Tune in next time (Sunday?) when I'll talk of my exciting weekend at Taylorsville Dayzz & introduce you to my two-ton Baby. Until then...have a great weekend & enjoy your local festivities!!!

No comments:

Where should I go next?