Thursday, June 7, 2007

End of an Era

Ladies & Gentlemen, it is a sad time in the world that we are enterting. No, I'm not talking about the seemingly endless violence in Mesopotamia & Mother Afrika. No, I'm talking about the retirement of the consummate game show host, Mr. Robert William Barker. After 35 years as the host of "The Price is Right", Bob Barker is retiring at the tender age of 83. To most of my readers, he's mostly remembered as the pro-am golfer who beat the crap out of Adam Sandler in "Happy Gilmore" and his immortal words "I think you've had enough. No, (kick) now you've had enough......bitch." For much of his career, he has been an avid animal rights activist & always respects the ladies (settled out of court). Now, he can finally retire & spend more time with his family & loved ones during his golden years. Thank you, Mr. Barker for 5 decades of television brilliance!!!

Oh...and can you hook a brother up with a name & phone number of who to contact to be the NEXT host of "The Price is Right"? It would be much appreciated. "Johnny, let's meet our NEXT contestant."

Speaking of Mother Afrika, I watched "Blood Diamond" last night...and a word of advice. Anybody out there who doesn't want to shell out three months' salary for a diamond engagement ring, let your girlfriend watch this movie. You can even sell it to her as a love story between Leonardo DiCaprio & Jennifer Connolly (ah, Labyrinth jailbait...) and it certainly is. No need to thank me. Just pay it forward.

After watching "Blood Diamond", I experienced some trouble sleeping last night (images of kids with AK's, light sleeper, trickling in the swamp cooler, images of redheads, etc.) so I decided to just wake up a little early this morning. It was still raining & chilly outside, so I decided to watch a movie that I hadn't seen in a long, long time - "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II - Secret of the Ooze" and curled up in my blanket (it was chilly). I awoke an hour later to the tune of Vanilla Ice singing "Go ninja, go ninja, go!!!" Moments later, Super Shredder made his brief cameo. FYI, Super Shredder was played by Kevin Nash, WWF/WCW superstar better known to me as "Diesel" from back in the early 90's when I watched. It brought back vivid memories of the JACK KNIFE. You've gotta give it up for wrestling though. It can be very addicting to a teenage mind. Violence, trash talking, alliances, it's like Survivor...but with a much more complicated plot...and actually entertaining. Ah the signature moves. Diesel's Jack Knife, Yokozuna's Bonzai Drop, Bret Hart's Sharpshooter, Razor Ramon's Razor's Edge, Ted Debiase's Million Dollar Sleeper Hold, Mr. Perfect's Perfect-Plex, the Undertaker's Tombstone Piledriver, the Frankensteiner, the list goes on & on & on & stops right here. Sorry, reminiscent moment...

Review of "The Conspiracy" - In an earlier blog, I promoted my buddy's rap album & he was kind enough to get me a copy. It's great. It's reminiscent of the originals of rap like KRS-One, Grandmaster Flash, Run DMC, Kurtis Blow, & others who were commenting on social structure & revolutionary ideas rather than bling bling & spinners. The beats are fantastic, the hooks are catchy, but the messages are essential. I would strongly suggest going to Uprok Records here in Slick City & getting a copy....for only $10. You can't go wrong. Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Where should I go next?