Friday, August 3, 2007

The Wingman moves on

Good Afternoon y'all,

Yesterday was a day full of heat & frustration, but yesternight was much much better. The day started rather late...because I thought sleeping in would be a good idea...and was right. The Comcast cable guy would arrive between 10 AM & Noon...and I don't think that I have to tell you that he chose the latter extremity for his arrival time. Luckily, he brought a buddy with him & they had my Comcast On-Demand TV set up within 20 minutes & I was to do the self-installation of the internet. Sweet. Shortly into the process of self-installation, there was a problem, the power plug for the modem was too large for the hole. This isn't the first time that I've ever had this problem, but unfortunately neck kisses & lubricant doesn't work with electronics, so I called Comcast & asked them to come back with the proper sized plug. "Sure thing. We're a little busy but should be there in about 30-45 minutes." "Cool. See ya then."

Two hours later, I called them back, they apologized, said that they had run into a few problems with another installation too (plugs among them) & said they were 5 minutes away. They stopped by, gave me the right power plug, & we were on our way. By We, I mean the Royal We...not Adam We. After about an hour, I had my wireless internet set up & ready to go. Yippee!!! I also found a curious little quirk about my setup with the TV...but found a solution too. I'll spare you the boring details on that one.

Later that night, after approving all my new MySpace friends (You guys rock!!!), my Wingman & his new wife Brown Bear wanted to have a fun adult night out...so I obliged them. My Wingman's 13-year old son has been living with them since the wedding, so they were looking for a good night of freedom. We first went to Ream's to load up on party snacks, then to Joe's Crab Shack for some appetizers & beverages. We enjoyed crab stuffed mushrooms & calimari with marinara sauce...and found these splendid drinks called Peach Teas, similar to a Long Island Iced Tea...but with Peach...and I could eat a peach for hours, so I tried it...and it was great. I highly recommend it.

The couple told me that they were moving to the city of Enoch within the month & told me of their badass house being built...and I wish them the best. Sure, we'll be a few hours drive away, but that's just another excuse to drive down to Vegas for a weekend. "You know, since it's only two hours away..." and all I need is an excuse for Sin City. We also talked about a bitchin' party this Saturday that we're going to...and hopefully my mom & some of my aunts as well. That'd be sweet. It's okay, my mom went with us to Vegas this last time in April & everybody loves her...because she's evil & twisted & fun like me.

We decided to go see a movie...and our choices came down to "Live Free or Die Hard" or "Hairspray." As you may remember, I watched "Live Free of Die Hard" two weeks ago on a date, but my Wingman hadn't seen it, and I'll be DAMNED if I'm going to force him to watch "Hairspray" so now was the time to make a move. "Mrs. Wingman, didn't you say that you wanted to watch a funny movie?" "Yeah." "Well, the Die Hard movies are always full of explosions, action, & one-liners. This one was that guy from 'Waiting...' that you enjoyed too. Maybe we should go with this one...but it's your decision, of course." "Okay, that sounds great. I think we should see Die Hard." (Fist bumps)

Also, as we were getting the tickets, one of the ticket ladies said "You look familiar. Are you somebody famous?" Now, I am the kind of person that will play with a question like this for as long as I can...and I did. "Yeah, I get that a lot. You've probably seen me on all the billboards on the freeway & stuff for the Jazz." "REALLY? Oh wow. Can I get your autograph?" "Well, if you quiet down, I'm trying to just have a quiet night with my friends, you know. Do you have a pen?" "Yeah yeah." I sign & print as Ron Jeremy. "What's your number?" "69." "You're number 69 on the Jazz?" "Oh no. I'm number 50...but that's not what you asked." Like I said, I'd go all day with a case of mistaken identity. Okay, honestly, she did ask me my number...but I walked away from it...but the thought was there...and that's what really counts. I can't wait until she Googles Ron Jeremy on the internet though...after telling all her friends who she met. I'm such a jackass.

So we watch the movie. It's great even watching it a second time. Again, it's your typical action movie...but it's so much more & very well done. Kudos to everybody involved. Another cool movie that I saw since last entry was "Pathfinder" that came out on DVD Tuesday. It's directed by Marcus Nispel ("Texas Chainsaw Massacre") and the story is about a legendary ghost warrior (white) who helped the Native Americans fight off the Vikings in the 11th century from colonizing & destroying their people. It's a nice, action-packed mix of "300", "Apocolypto", & "Last of the Mohicans." I would recommend that you check it out...but that's just me. It's definitely better than "Hairspray." Sorry, I saw the poster with John Travolta's character and it was Travolting. What happened to Vinny Barbarino?

News of the Day? - Jim Bob & Michelle Duggar welcomed their 17th child into the world on Thursday in the city of Rogers, Arkansas. My favorite part about this...is that all of their kids are home schooled & all their names start with a J. Check out the link for the full listing of newborns to 19-year old Joshua. This is huge news to the town of Rogers, but not Utah. Why you ask? My grandmother had 17 children...and all single births. None of these twins like the Duggars had. No THAT'S a woman. Yes, I have the Fertile Myrtle genes. My mother is one of seventeen & my father is one of eight. That may be why I am one of two. That's a lot of people in two-bedroom households. Am I saying that we should restrict ourselves to 2.3 children per household? Not at all.

My grandpa Jay ran a farm & a waste management business while raising the children...and eventually the older children raising the younger ones...and so on until they moved out & had wonderful grandchildren (ME). Likewise with my grandpa Walter and his eight children. It takes a lot of work...but there's also a lot of Love involved. In fact, tomorrow my mother & her sisters (in-laws as well) are having an annual girl's day out and they'll probably have to get a table for a dozen & bar tab for a gross. It sounds like a fun time. FYI - The brothers of the family call it Friday when they get together. Anyway, feel free to repopulate the Earth, but just be willing to work for it. That's all I'm saying.

Sports News of the Day - Normally, the X Games in Los Angeles holds little to no interest for me except for the highlights & interviews. Last night, skateboarder Jake Brown was competing in the Big Air Competition...and with one false move fell some 50 feet straight down onto a reinforced parquet ramp. Needless to say, Mr. Brown broke his shit...but it could have been a LOT worse. He is currently being hospitalized with a concussion, collapsed lung, some broken bones, and a little bleeding of the liver (since coagulated). However, the most entertaining part about this story isn't the actual event...or violence...but rather the interviews that I see on ESPN about it. Now, I'm an avid watcher of Sportscenter...so I'm used to seeing interviews with some colorful & unintelligible athletes...but some of the skateboarders are just amazing to listen to.

I watched an interview with Danny Way, the skateboarder who jumped the Great Wall of China in 2005 & designer of the Big Air ramp used last night. Here are some excerpts (from memory because it happened like 15 minutes ago & unfortunately to transcript on ESPN.com):

Interviewer: "Do you think extreme sports may be too dangerous now?"

Danny Way: "Well, it's tough to say because extreme sports are...well, extreme & all about pushing the limits of what people can comprehend and trying to do things that are amazing & gnarly."

Interviewer: "What do you think about the crash last night?"

Danny Way: "Wow, I was scared. I was right there & heard the thud that he made on the ramp when he landed, but I was so glad that he was okay. It's definitely one of the gnarliest crashes that I've ever seen."

I mention this interview because I couldn't stop laughing. Seriously, Nelson Mandela has probably used the word 'gnarly' in his life...but if he were to say it in an interview with Diane Sawyer, I don't think that I could take him seriously. I may be as hip to the skater lingo as I think that I am...and it was an amazing crash...but doesn't gnarly have a positive connotation? Have you heard/seen some of the things that they call their tricks? Do yourself a favor...watch some of the X Games (and you'll likely see the Jake Brown crash a few THOUSAND times) but when the announcers & interviewees speak, try not to laugh. I have five bucks that says you can't do it.

Watching skateboarders & other extreme sports crash & hurt themselves before a worldwide audience...is like watching NASCAR or football. Sure, you know that they've crashed thousands of times before...and they all hurt. It's just a matter of time before the body goes out with one good slam. Be safe out there everybody. Wear protective gear...or better yet, just don't do it. Screw Nike!!! If it seems like a dumb idea to jump a van with your bicycle, it's probably an idea with an IQ in the teens. Go play basketball or something. Seriously. Yeah, girls like the skaters because they're rebels...but anyone who has seen a woman go on a diet knows that they don't like vegetables unless they're obligated to. Keep that in mind.

Health Watch of the Day - Breastfeeding in America has reached an all-time high (at least in recorded history...probably more cavewomen fed the old school way). The Center for Disease Control says that about 74% of American women who gave birth in 2004 breastfed for at least some time continuing an upward trend of the 1990's. Always interested in news of the female breast, I found this to be reassuring as many studies show that it provides benefits to the child...as well as any spectator within eyeshot. Some of you may not think so...and that's probably because you hang out at Wal-Mart too much...but please keep in mind, that it's for the children. Not just the pervert. Actually, now that I think about it, the alternative to breastfeeding would be huge, swollen breasts requiring a cup size far superior to that of consistently drained breasts. That actually doesn't sound bad at all either...but I'm still happy for the breastfeeding trend...and support it. As much as I would like to see swollen breasts, I understand that it hurts the ladies...and we can't have that.

Anyway, I'm going to leave on that note...and ask that you all enjoy your weekends...and I'll see you on Sunday. Peace...

No comments:

Where should I go next?