Friday, August 10, 2007

Dependability

Good Morning yet again,


This is another morning blog...and don't be frightened, it's going to happen tomorrow too...because I picked up an early shift for a friend. Sucker, you say? You may be right. Okay, so you are right. Congratulations. Well, some of you may be wondering why I chose the title of this entry to be "Dependability" and here's the story. I got home last night...and started feeling a little ill. I guess when I was at work, my mind was occupied or something so it didn't hit me, but I got home & my throat got a little sore and my body got a little weak.


I was flipping through the channels & stumbled upon "Scott Baio is 45...and Single" again. It was Week 5 - His adventures this week included catching up with a former Penthouse girl he 'dated' and she didn't have fond memories of him...so in about two minutes, she basically said some things that can tear a man's soul apart without trying...and I think it got to him a little bit...but being a New York-raised Italian-American, he shrugged it off. Then he spent a few hours at a day care...and was obviously out of his element. Then he met his girlfriend's 17-year old daughter (cute girl from Memphis, brought back memories of an old girlfriend for yours truly) and took her shopping. She seemed like a very bright girl & knew the questions to ask to put him on the spot. My favorite part was when some guy was trying to pick up on her in the store, so Scott felt like he should step in (knowing the game) and the kid was like "We're just talking grown-up business." The kid obviously had no idea who he was talking to. Anyway, I kind of dig this show because I get to see Scott Baio's karma come back & bite him in the ass.


Anyway, sidenote aside, the show also got me thinking about myself. I realized that I was sitting there, by myself, feeling miserable, 26 years old, and started to wonder how this happened. So then I got to thinking about what I had to offer the ladies. First thing that I thought of was my sense of humor...because I've heard that ladies dig that. Secondly, I thought of physical attributes. Thirdly, I thought of personality traits...and Dependability came up. Anyway, I needed to be cheered up a little bit, so I threw in "I Think I Love My Wife" by Chris Rock. This movie was hilarious. I'm sure it's even more so if you're married, but I've been around enough married people to have an idea of how it is. Besides, even when a man is married, as stated throughout this movie, he still thinks about things. Anyway, check it out if you have a few hours to burn & wanna laugh your ass off. The ending was exactly what I would have done, let's just leave it at that.


After the movie was over, I started to doze off a bit, still felt horrible physically, so I decided it was bedtime around 11:30 PM, a little early for me. I do my praying thing, lie back, and I'm OUT. My phone rings at 1 AM. A friend of mine had her car stolen while she was watching "I Know Who Killed Me" (don't see it) and needed a ride. Luckily, she called the right person. I throw on some clothes, pick her & her date up, and take them back to his car. She's obviously a little flustered...as anyone would be...but luckily, she knows that no matter what time of day or night it is, if she needs help (and I'm in town), I'm there. Dependability.


At work, if something needs to be done, I'm high on most manager's lists. If somebody needs a strong body to help them move, they have me on their speed dial. If there's some trivial piece of knowledge that has been bugging somebody all night, they have an idea of who to ask. If I say that I'm going to be there, barring something major, I'm going to be there. Even this blog, I'm pretty consistent for a good laugh every day or so. Why? Dependability.


I'm pretty sure that I got it from my dad...because he's the one who's always there when I need help with something. "Hey dad, my car needs a tune up. Do you wanna hang out & help me out?" "Hang out? Sure. Help out? I guess." "Hey dad, I'm going on yet another vacation & need a ride to the airport at an ungodly hour. Do you think you could help me out? If not, I'll take a cab." "Yeah, I'll just have to go to bed early the night before...but you'd better get me something nice." "Deal."


I don't know. Maybe I'm just tooting my own horn a little bit...but I think that Dependability is very important in any kind of relationship. No, I don't mean Predictability, like I can depend on this being the same thing over & over again. Obviously that can get boring...and if you've been reading this blog, then you know that simply isn't the case with me. However, ask anybody & it's reassuring to know that if somebody says that they'll be there, you can plan on it. I haven't had a whole lot of luck with finding people that I can feel this with (girlfriends), but I'm optimistic as always. My dating average (dates divided by scheduled dates) is raising slightly, so we'll what the future has to offer. Anyway, enough about that. Maybe tomorrow, I'll share that Boyfriend Application that I filled out mildly intoxicated and sent to a teenager earlier this week...and you can tell me what I need to work on. I still feel ill & I need to get some vitamins & minerals in me so that I can go to my boy Spitsofrantic's show tonight...and work an early shift tomorrow morning.


Until next time, have a great day...and a great weekend.

2 comments:

SuzyKtar said...

I hope you get feeling better.


Thank you for being dependable!!!
I count on that :)

$teve said...

Me too, Suzy K-Tar!!! Any remedies that you'd recommend? Perhaps I'll try this sleep thing that I keep hearing about.

I'm glad to give you back something. You've done so much for me over the years, it's the least that I could do.

Where should I go next?