Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Golf Anyone?

Good Morning Ladies & Gentlemen,


Yes, it's still technically morning & I've been up since 7 AM after going to bed around 2 AM. Still no Mountain Dew for the day yet (no dollar for the machine) so I'm struggling to stay awake...but not much. I spent my morning at a pre-meeting for a charity golf tournament that I'm volunteering with at the beautiful Hidden Valley Country Club in Sandy, Utah. The meeting was good. Apparently, I will be part of the crew that puts beverages into the coolers & ices them down in the morning, then I will assist the golfers in transitioning from one course to the next, then I will help clean up afterwards. We spent about half the meeting (only an hour or so) trying on the fancy shirts that we get - a dark blue polo shirt with white stitching...and the girl's sizes were very small...like the Medium might have fit a small child. Anyway, mine was a good size for my frame, so we took a golf cart tour of the Mountain Course.


There were a lot of deer about the premises...and they seemed very comfortable with people around. The course is located near the base of the Rocky Mountains on the Wasatch Front, so the views were simply stunning & the surrounding houses were very stately. I rode in the cart with a caddy named Ryan who had a bit of a stammer but was a great guy. I admitted upfront that I'm not a golfer but I know a little bit from "Happy Gilmore" so we had some fun as I asked silly questions.


"Well Steve, this is the tee for the f-f-fourth hole. It's a Par 5 and you can kinda see the flag over there behind the hill."
"Nice, what is that about 450 yards?"
"Depending on the tee you use, about 445-510."
"Par 5 huh? Isn't shooting a 2 on a Par 5 called an albatross?"
"Very good. I thought that you said you didn't know anything about golf."
"Oh, I don't...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night."


"Yeah, the other day here on nine, we had a guy hit a hole-in-one. My buddy & I, it was the first time that we had ever seen one & the guy was so happy. It was c-c-cool."
"Nice, did he buy a round of drinks for everybody like they do in the movies?"
"No, he was super Mormon so...you know...we didn't push it."
"Not even a round of Root Beer or Sprite or something? Man, I'd marked his card as a two."


On the 8th hole of the Mountain Course, there's a pond where there was a large amount of ducks & geese that I'm sure that I would have taken advantage of if I were a member of the club. "I say. Dr. Love, it's your turn to tee off. What are you doing over there in the bushes?" "Your mom! I'm feeding the ducks. I'll be there in a second, Pilkington." "It's your turn to tee off." "Look, I'm going to get T'd off if you keep riding my khakis about this, so go ahead & I'll catch up in a few. Do we have any beers left?"


Anyway, good times. If you'd like to know more about golf & golf terminology, please visit Golf and I'll be sure to let you know how the actual tournament goes in about two weeks. However, the day after I'll be leaving for St. Louis...so I'm just warning you that it might take me a few days to get the pictures to you. Remember the Aquarium? However, here's a small listing of some of the wonderful future blog entries coming your way as a valued subscriber to the Dr. Mookie Love Fanatic Club (please wait, 4-6 weeks for your membership cards)...
  • Trips to St. Louis, Spain, the Meditteranean Sea, road trips throughout the American West, and as of yesterday, a triumphant return to the city of New Orleans

  • Dr. Love takes on theories of Evolution

  • My continued quest into the realm of Fears & Phobias...and how to overcome them

  • Complimentary psychiatric evaluations & life advice for those who ask

  • An explanation of why & when men cry - Oh yes, it does happen

  • Conspiracies that you may not be aware of...because they haven't been founded...yet

  • Celebrity Birthdays, Sporting News, Panda Updates, Public Service Announcements, Concert Invitations, & anything that I think may be of interest to you in this fast-paced world

Concert Announcement - Again, my good friend Spitsofrantic is having his record-release party THIS FRIDAY, AUGUST 10th at Brewski's in Ogden. Free drink when you mention this blog. If you love hip-hop with a fantastic beat & revolutionary lyrics, then you owe it to yourself to be at this show. Period. I'll see you there. Let me know if you'd like to carpool.

That's all for this day, so until next time (probably tomorrow), have a wonderful day & keep smiling...pretty please...

2 comments:

B. said...

Back to New Orleans. Nice. Won't be the same without Larry Corsini though.

$teve said...

True that. It's a shame that you won't be there this time either...but Brookie will be there...and Patrice. "Thank you $teve, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you..." Yeah, it'll be fun...and courteous.

I wonder how Julia will handle Bourbon Street...you know, with not being able to see where that smell is coming from...

Where should I go next?