Friday, May 30, 2008

I Like Walks at Sunset

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

Last night as I was blogging, JL Clyde gave me a call and was bored out of her mind. Luckily, I was also bored...so we decided to hang out. We decided that we were hungry...so we went to Skippers, which is conveniently located near my house. Oh...and for those unfamiliar with Skippers, it's basically a Long John Silver deep fried frozen seafood place...because I live about a thousand miles from an ocean. That's right, the Great Salt Lake can't sustain life larger than brine shrimp...which don't even taste good deep fried...which is amazing, because you can deep fry rusty nails and if you dip them in barbecue sauce, they're palettable...but not brine shrimp. Anyway, Skipper's was its usual deep fried deliciousness.

Afterwards, what do we decide to do for fun? Go wandering through a cemetary around sunset. As you may be aware, this past weekend was Memorial Day Weekend...and if there's a good thing about living near a cemetary, it's that it's quite a colorful, beautiful, yet still depressing sight during the Holidays. Here are some pictures...
Really liked this one...
Is that what I think it is?
That's one way to sway graverobbers
She was a hundred years old...and a mother
Not sure of the tragic tale of this 14-year old girl
but I'll bet it was delicious...
I've decided that leaving diet Mountain
Dew is kind of like the Utah way of
"Pourin' out some liquor for the homies"
The sun is almost set...the zombies will come soon...

After our stroll (and the sun went down so we ran away from the zombies), we decided to watch movies...in particular, scary movies...obviously inspired by Night of the Living Dead. Luckily, I had that movie...but it was part of a collection that I bought with nine other classics (by classics, I mean black & white...and not bloody). So she looked through the collection...and we decided to start it off with "Nosferatu" instead. For those who don't know, this is a 1921 German-produced silent film that is the original good Dracula / Vampire movie. Of course, instead of being scared, I was laughing the entire time. It wasn't the movie's fault really, because given that it was made in 1921, it was a great film...but it was the same story line as "Bram Stoker's Dracula" and the part of John Harker was dressed like Lord Fontleroy...and because it was a silent film, I gave him a voice similar to a sissy Keanu with a German accent...and Nina Harker had Victorian Dreadlocks...and every other character in the movie looked like they were played by John Malkovich. Oh...and the soundtrack with comical too...but yeah, check it out. It's a classic. You may just not want to watch it with me...unless you enjoy laughing your ass off through a horror flick. Some people like that.

Next was the original 1959 "House on Haunted Hill" with Vincent Price. Now, I'm sure that most of you have seen the 1999 remake (and probably confused it with "The Haunting" like I seem to do) starring Geoffrey Rush in Price's part, Famke Janssen as the super hot wife, Chris Kattan as the paranoid housekeeper, and Ali Larter & Bridgette Wilson as additional eye candy...but this one is less star stricken...but Vincent Price makes up for it...because he's the Gary Oldman of his generation. Anyway, the story is that an eccentric millionaire is hosting a party for his beautiful fifth wife, who he doesn't trust. (Gasp!) He invites five strangers to the party, offering them $10,000 each to spend a night in a haunted house...which they will be locked in...and the ghosts may or may not eat their SOULS!!! JL Clyde & I agreed on the best part of the whole movie...and I think that you will too...but you'll have to see it to find out. Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! (By the way, that last laugh was a creepy Vincent Price laugh)

Because the other movies were just over an hour long, we watched one more movie...and it was again Vincent Price starring in "The Last Man on Earth" from 1964. Now, JL Clyde had never seen any of these movies...or Charleton Heston's "Omega Man" or Will Smith's "I Am Legend" but this movie got her interested in seeing the other two now...because I told her that they were similar...but different...and good. This is the first movie about the story of Dr. Robert Morgan trying to find a cure for some worldwide zombie vampire plague and being the last man on Earth...is mankind's last hope. That's right, mankind's last hope is STILL creepy...even when he's crying in frustration...in fact, I'd dare say MORE creepy. Feel free to check this movie out too...because I'm not going to tell you any more about it. It's THAT good.

Michael Bay Takes on Ouija - Okay, so remember a few months ago when all of the rights to the board games were sold so that they could make movies...and apparently Ridley Scott wanted to do the "Monopoly" movie? Well, here's a link...just in case you don't (still think Stallone could rock a Jenga movie). Well, allegedly Michael Bay, director of "Transformers" and all those other Bruckheimer action flicks, is very interested in doing a movie based on the hellish board game Ouija. How hellish is that game? Well, legend has it...that in the mid 90's, Mr. Bay himself used to mess with the powers of the Ouija board...and consulted it for career advice...and the powers that be suggested that he make a movie that would...just be horrible. So blame Pearl Harbor on Ouija. Hopefully the movie about this incident will be much more entertaining. As long as it has one of my ten key words involved, I'm there.

So yeah, still no word from Vegas as of this point...but believe me, I'll be happy to share one way or the other once I'm informed. Really anxious to find out...but in the meantime, I'm just enjoying the stuff that I'm going to miss a bit - Friends, family, mountains, rain, grass, all that kind of stuff. The best thing is that I'll still be able to see the stars at night depending on where I live. Worst-case, I just have to take a quick five minute drive to an undeveloped patch of desert...and chill there. Have a great night everybody!!!

No comments:

Where should I go next?