Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Vegas-Cage Syndrome

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

The past 24 hours have been a weird, zany mix of Las Vegas and Nicolas Cage. It started last night...when I posted my picture of the wax Nicolas Cage & me in Vegas. Okay, that happens. Yesterday, before going to work, I found that "Leaving Las Vegas" was on Comcast On-Demand...and I had never seen it...but being Vegas, I checked out the plot line...and after reading it, decided that I was going to watch it when I got home (Vegas, alcoholic Nicolas Cage, and my first real crush plays a prostitute). More on that later. Then Filly wanted to know if I rented "National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets" and when we can watch it. See, because I have to call her at the front door of her apartment complex on an intercom, I do my Nicolas Cage impersonation (which is really me just sounding really tired...or doing that bad Con Air southern accent...or both). Okay, the movie came out on DVD Tuesday, it happens. I go home, my mom calls me & talks to me about Vegas, Bubbles calls who lives in Vegas (and thinks Nicolas Cage is really hot for some reason), even Mrs. Wingman called...and asks me about Vegas (and other stuff). Then I watch "Leaving Las Vegas", then flipping through the channels...and "Showgirls" is on VH1, then Lewis Black's Root of All Evil matchup is Las Vegas vs. the Human Body (Vegas won). Of course, the Travel Channel had its usual Vegas lineup, the World Series of Poker was on a few channels, okay, now it's getting really weird. Hell, when I watched National Treasure this morning, I was half expecting the City of Gold to be located in the Luxor. Coincidence? You be the judge.

Okay, where to start? I really liked "Leaving Las Vegas" starring Nicolas Cage and Elizabeth Shue (my first crush thanks to "Adventures in Babysitting"). It's a story about a depressed, alcoholic screenwriter (Cage) who gets let go...and decides to move to Vegas to drink himself to death. While down there, he meets a beautiful prostitute (Shue) who feels something special and unexplainable with him...and offers him a place to stay instead of the dingy motel that he was staying at. Now, I'll admit that what got me to finally watch this movie was the mention of Vegas & Shue...but it was actually a really good movie...despite being depressing on many levels. You see, a few years back, my dad battled alcoholism...and almost lost. So to see a creative, tortured soul of a gentlemen (with balding forehead) go through the twitches...and the mood swings...and the refusal to accept help brought back many memories of those days. Also, I felt a lot for Sera (Shue's character) who had this unexplainable attraction and willingness to help him...even though all signs pointed to heartache. It's a great story about how we all have our great qualities and our own baggage...but sometimes we're just lucky enough to stumble upon that special someone who completes us & compliments us...is willing to help us realize our dreams, even the unspoken ones (like drinking bourbon off every inch of her body in this movie) and basically makes us whole...or at least a whole lot happier. I found myself saying "Come on now, you two love each other. What's the big f**king deal? Get to the storybook ending." Check this movie out if you like dramas. It even has its clever, funny moments...but yeah, it's 98% drama...and I got to see Shue's boobs. Nice. Okay, so that last part probably nullified anything that I said earlier about the experience of the human condition...but that's how I am. Complicated yet simple...and creepily honest.

This morning, I watched "National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets" with Nicolas Cage, Diane Kruger, Jon Voight, and Ed Harris and it was pretty good. I really liked the first one...because of the whole kind of Indiana Jones, Librarian, nerdy & clever hero explorer with a really hot girlfriend and comedic sidekick thing. It's good stuff. Sure, some of the clues may be a little farfetched but at least they keep it exciting and funny. I wish that I could tell you more about this movie...but you should probably check it out.


Oh...and to keep the apparently new Vegas theme to this blog, I'll be checking out the worldwide web for places to rent in the area, in anticipation of a move there...so if you know of any good sites to check out or know peeps in the area, please let me know. It'd be much appreciated. In the meantime, here's some news...

Tirana, Albania: City of Candles - A cat chasing a mouse in Tirana's main power station caused a 72-hour blackout across parts of the Albanian capital, the electricity company's spokesperson (Morgan Freeman?) said on Friday. "A cat and a mouse ran into the high-voltage cables," a company spokeswoman said, showing pictures of the electrocuted animals. "We took pictures because we've never had anything like this." Albanians complain bitterly about the power cuts that have plagued them for decades, and are mostly blamed on drought and the dilapidation of the communist-era grid. Most homes and shops in Tirana rely on petrol generators. It's amazing when a little game of cat & mouse can bring a city to its knees. That's like the huge blackout of the Northeast a few years back being caused by somebody accidentally kicking out a plug under their desk…or finally turning on that lamp in the corner…and then the power grid is overloaded. The straw that broke the camel's back, I guess. Looking at this picture of the friendly cat & mouse team…like an Albanian Tom & Jerry…I think the animals are starting to fight back…and they know where to hit us, our Technology. I'm just saying…keep an eye on your pets. When they stare at you…when you're home cleaning dishes or something…they're studying you. Looking for your weaknesses. Then one day, they'll pounce…and then all the Friskies AND Meow Mix will be theirs.

(Sorry for getting the Meow Mix jingle stuck in your head)

Panda Update - With the death toll of last week's Chinese earthquake fast approaching 50,000 and a reported five million people being homeless, I tend to focus on the Pandas…because apparently they're important too…and they're not as depressing. I stumbled upon this NY Times article about a 12-person American tourist group being rescued from the Wolong Natural Reserve a few days ago and they reported that all the animals were skittish and sensed the earthquake a few minutes before it happened. There are roughly 1,600 pandas living in the wild in China, most spread across 44 nature reserves in the Sichuan Province, where the epicenter of the quake was. Long before the quake, researchers at Wolong had been placing hidden cameras throughout the reserve to monitor pandas in the wild. Now those scenes will be used to help assess the impact of the disaster. As yet, not a single panda is known to have died, a sharp contrast to the human horror unfolding elsewhere in the mountains. Rescue workers were even able to save 13 panda cubs along with all the foreign tourists at the reserve. A senior security administrator did die however while taking part in the rescue efforts. Amazing stories of both tragedy and heroism coming out of this natural disaster. Hopefully many more are saved and they can rebuild quickly.

That'll do it for today. My best wishes go out to Becca who hurt her back & knee the other day. I wish you a speedy and complete recovery. Also, best wishes out to Bubbles & her family...and the Wingmans, as always. Remember to tell your loved ones that you love them. They may not know it. Tune in tomorrow...where I may be talking about yet another conspiracy theory (concerning the NBA Lottery), other random happenings, and maybe a Movie List. I haven't done one of them in a while. Have a great night everybody...and I'll see you around.

No comments:

Where should I go next?