Monday, May 26, 2008

Happy Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day Ladies & Gentlemen,

I guess we'll start with my blind date last night...because I really didn't do much of anything except laundry & surveying my stuff for a future move. So I went to pick her up...and found her place a little earlier than expected, so about twenty minutes early. I ring the doorbell...and a few seconds later, a very petite girl (maybe 14 years old) answered the door. "Hi, is (date) here?" "That's me." "Oh! Well hello then, I'm $teve." Really? Well, okay. I've dated extremely petite girls before...and she had some nice eyes. We'll give her a shot...and I'll try to get over the feeling that I'm taking my niece to dinner or something. By the way, she's 24 years old...but just looks really young...just to get that out of the way...because as you may have heard, I've dated much younger girls before...but early bloomers.

Not knowing the city where she lives, I asked her if there was any place that she would recommend nearby...and she directed me to a Chinese restaurant. Along the way, we made small talk...but it was honestly VERY hard to hear her. She seemed extremely shy...and so only spoke in about the 20 decibel range. We get to the restaurant and continue our small talk...but she seems particularly stuck on discussing "American Idol" and specifically how much she thinks David Cook is super cute...and how she normally doesn't like facial hair, but his is different, and he plays guitar, and she's going to see him on July 14th, and...then I kind of blacked out for a few minutes...then regained consciousness in time to hear her talking about what she would do if she met him in person...and not nearly as hot as I was expecting. She seems extremely LDS...which is sweet & all...but may not be the girl that I'm looking for.

So I try to change the subject from American Idol to things that she does for fun. "Nothing really...just hanging with friends once in a while." "Cool, how about other shows that you like to watch?" "Friends, Seinfeld, I have all the seasons of Charmed, Supernatural..." basically listing off all the shows that I despise. "Nice, I've seen a few episodes of Charmed. How about cartoons?" "What do you mean?" "Like Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, stuff like that?" "Oh man...I watch Simpsons once in a while...but then I'll see Homer choke Bart and his eyes bug out...and it's just stupid. Family Guy's even worse. It's not even funny." (Signaling to the waiter for the check) By the way, I ordered something that I had never seen before called Strawberry Chicken...and it's exactly what it sounds like.

After that, she continued to ramble on again about David Cook...and the brothers on Supernatural...and I was just laughing to myself but keeping her entertained by going along with it...and eventually dropped her off. Now, I may sound like a cold-hearted dude in simplifying this date...but yeah, we really didn't hit it off at all...and have absolutely nothing in common. She was a cute girl though...and I wish her the best. I also casually mentioned a few times during the date that I had spent the last week in Vegas looking for a job...so my exit strategy has been established. I'm guessing that she wasn't too impressed by me in any case. Great way to spend an hour though...and she had a great time. Even I had a good time.

After the date, I went to my brother's where he was having a barbecue...and let me tell you, nothing gets the taste of strawberry chicken out of your mouth like a brat with honey mustard and a few cold Bud Lights. His neighbor Harry Balzonia and his family was there too. He's a cool cat. Not sure if I mentioned him before...but he and my brother get along well. After a few hours there, I went up to my mom's house to spend the night...then we woke up, cooked up some sausage & eggs, and then she volunteered me to babysit my cousin the next few days while my aunt's having surgery. What are mom's for, right? She was sure to do it before telling me about it...so that if I said no, I would be the dick. My mom's a lot of things...but stupid isn't one of them...usually. Here are some pictures from my mom's home in Eden...and a tree that almost hit during the storms this past week.
The Gargoyle doesn't seem amused...
View from the backyard
My own waterfall...
The pictures don't really do it justice...
but you can see my Poor Man's Maybach

Then we went to my brother's and had another barbecue, hung out there for a few hours watching the X-Men animated series that I haven't seen since I was a kid, and then I drove home & had a nice conversation with Bubbles who's exhausted from her trip to Slick City this weekend. Tomorrow, I'm apparently babysitting a bit, then going to work, then I have Wednesday & Thursday off. Hopefully, I'll find out about the Vegas job one way or the other in the next few days now that the holiday weekend is over, so I'll keep you posted. Also, I'd like to thank all the past, present, & future soldiers out there for their service in protecting me over the past 27+ years. Memorial Day always makes me think of my Grandpa Love, who was a veteran of three wars...and unfortunately passed many years ago...oddly enough on the 4th of July. Thank you all so much for all that you do!!!

No comments:

Where should I go next?