Saturday, July 28, 2007

My Apologies

Good Afternoon once again...and my apologies...but I will be unable to show my pictures from the Aquarium today. I know, I know, I'm sorry but I'm blogging from work (until 1 AM again) and I was unable to download my pictures before coming to work. I'll share them with you on Monday...and when I get internet at my house on Thursday...then we won't run into this problem. Yay technology!!! Here's a little ditty about what has happened in...well, the last twelve hours or so since I left work.
  • Left work at 1 AM & drove home

  • My brother called me on the way home & we talked about more video game stuff. Primarily, he's trying to convince me to buy Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas so that we can form an elite tactical fighting unit & destroy terrorist strongholds.

  • 45 minutes later, he realized that I had mentioned that I had an early morning, so we ended transmission & I slept like a baby

  • I woke up around 8:30 & decided to call to confirm prior plans to go to the Aquarium. The mission was still go...for 1030 hours. The team would comprise of myself, JL Clyde, & her friend Cort

  • Finding the aquarium proved difficult for all three of us, passing it several times.

  • Basically if you're near it at 106th South & 7th East, it's the Northeastern corner that looks like an old grocery store...but it was actually an old crafts store turned into educational wonder.

  • JL & I arrived a few minutes earlier than Cort...and we had been planning on visiting the Living Planet Aquarium for a few months...but our schedules never meshed

  • We talked about fish, sharks, sperm whales, & going to other aquariums in Monterey & Atlanta to see cooler & fancier fish, sharks, & whales

  • Cort arrived & we walked through the aquarium giddy as school children on a field trip

  • This was my first time meeting Cort...and I'm happy to report that he's a cool cat...and a Philosophy major.

  • This is where I would start with the pictures...but just more to look forward to on Monday, right?

  • After seeing the exhibits & viewing a video about the Georgia Aquarium, we decided to go get some sushi at Go Sushi

  • Yes, I realize that eating sushi after visiting an aquarium is ironic...and that's why we did it

  • I'm the kind of person that will visit a petting zoo & then go directly to a Steakhouse or go to the Humane Society and then go to Chinese Buffet

  • It's not that I'm an incredibly morbid person or anything. I just like to let them know who's boss. That's why I thoroughly enjoy ordering fish at a restaurant with an aquarium & flaunt my meal to his/her friends. Why? When a shark attacks somebody in the water, do we ask why? No, that's just how it is in nature. Convinced yet? Me neither.

  • Again, Go Sushi is very small & it's sign is covered by shrubbery...but it's at the Northeastern corner of 33rd South & 2000 East. You're welcome.

  • I enjoyed Take Sashimi (octopus) and Green Tea ice cream

  • We discussed various things, mostly food & relationships, two subjects I have little to no experience with...but I felt that I held my own in the conversation

  • After lunch, I drove to work...and here I am

Quick PSA from Dr. Love - My good friend & colleague TAN (The Assimilated Negro) has brought many things to my attention...but this one was particularly good. There's a search engine option called Blackle which is google...but with a black screen. "But $teve, why an African-American screen?" Because it conserves energy...which helps save the environment. The only drawback is that it doesn't do the image searches...but if you're just looking for websites and want to help out Captain Planet...then please use Blackle. Besides...it makes you cooler.

$teve's Top 10 Video Games - Now, for the moment you've all been waiting for...since late last night. This is a list of 10 video games that I personally love & have made me the person that I am today...with carpal tunnel syndrome & a tendency to hum the original Super Mario Bros. theme on a wim. Granted this is not an official list certified by anyone besides me...and I'm always willing to take on a discussion...but these are my personal faves, in no particular order other than I thought of them...and most of them are pretty old...because that's when I played video games a lot.

Killer Instinct - Super Nintendo - Okay, this game was one of my favorite arcade games that I would play all the time at Weber State University...so when it came to Super Nintendo, I had to get it in its limited edition black casing with the collectible soundtrack Killer Kuts (which I still play on occasion). It took the best features of other fighting games like Street Fighter & Mortal Kombat and put them into a game with a ninja, a skeleton, a boxer, a robot, a lava man, a hot chick, a raptor, a werewolf, a native American, & a two headed endboss that you could play as with a special code. Seriously, have they made a better fighting game since? I was surprised when Killer Instinct 2 didn't even make it to the major systems. (Brownie points if you know the character that I left out of my list)

Scarface - PS2 - Am I the only person that wanted a sequel to the movie Scarface? Why didn't they do that? Oh yeah, he died at the end...in a blaze of glory. But wait, what if he had turned around & gotten away from Sosa's men? Then you would have one of the best video games ever. It's a mix of Grand Theft Auto & other similar games with a Scarface storyline (yes, drug smuggling & crude language with adult situations) and a slew of celebrity voices. This is one of the few games that actually suckered me in from start to finish...like I hear a good book is supposed to be...but this book has a lot of big guns & vulgar Cuban accents.

Madden 2005 - PS2 - The Madden series is always good...but I like 2005 the best...because if you try to overcomplicate the game...then you've lost me...as the 2006 edition did with its whole QB Vision BS. Besides, I love the Owner's Box stuff and taking over a franchise like the Texans or something & turning them into a juggernaut...then moving to Vegas & changing them to the Las Vegas Knights. Yeah baby!!! After a few years, I'll move them to Slick City & call them the Stormin' Mormons. Why? Because I'm eccentric. Raarrrraaaarrrraaaarrrraaarrr...

Tecmo Super Bowl - Nintendo - Again, far ahead of its time...and simplicity wins me over. Besides, it has Joe Montana, Bo Jackson, Barry Sanders, LT, Derrick Thomas, & other Hall of Famers that I grew up with...but I always went with the Eagles. I think that QB Eagles guy is just about as good as Randall Cunningham himself. Besides, in newer games, if you're ahead of the defense then you probably can't be caught if you're speedy. In this game, you have to move side to side a lot & have players lunge at you.

Super Mario Bros. - Nintendo - Quite possibly the most influential game of ALL TIME!!! Bobby Riggs vs. Billie Jean King - Just a footnote in comparison. This game alone turned millions of kids into zombies and launched a multi-billion dollar industry into the stratosphere. Besides, it taught many kids the positive aspects of eating mushrooms & setting pretty flowers on fire...and that turtles are our enemies. Let's sing the theme song again...because I know you were humming it earlier. Do do do, do-do do-do...

Simpsons Hit & Run - PS2 - Take a Grand Theft Auto format & involve the Simpsons...genius. "But $teve, why don't you have GTA on this list, but two games just like it with different characters?" Because I haven't played GTA that much...because I had these other two (Simpsons & Scarface). Oh...and I've worked & gone to school full-time since I was 15. The same reason I don't play World of Warcraft or something. Like I said, this is a personal list...and doesn't have to make sense...it makes dollars.

Mike Tyson's Punch Out - Nintendo - This game is like your grandpa. Sure, it's old, a little odd, & extremely racist...but you love it just the same. "Racist, $teve?" Oh yeah. The adventures of Little Mac (who I guess is like Rocky's Mini-Me) pit him against stereotypic character fighters from all over the world...and he must utilize his complete arnsenal of (four) punches to win the boxing title. I played this one a lot & always made it to Mike Tyson (or Mr. Dream depending on the version) but because my controller had met its fair share of Soda Popinski's in its day, it was sticky & just not quick enough to counter Iron Mike. In true Rocky fashion though, I went the distance with him a few times...and there was no rematch...or sequel.

Any NBA Street game - PS2/PS3 - Sure, the NBA Live games are nice...but NBA Street is like the NBA...with the Streets. I personally like Volume 2 on PS2 because it brought in some of the Old School greats like Pistol Pete, Dr. J, & Wilt Chamberlain...but the PS3 NBA Street Homecourt is nice too. Sure, it's a little cartoony...but dominating the NBA the old fashioned way in the Live series gets old after a while.

Super Street Fighter II - Super Nintendo - Before they started releasing games with titles like "Super Mega Street Fighter Alpha III Champion's Edition - Zangief's Revenge" and just before the Hollywood movie with Jean-Claude Van Damme, Kylie Minogue, & the late Raul Julia, this game was my favorite. Mostly it was because I won about 95% of the time...but no matter what kind of fighter you were, there was a character for you. Grappler, kickboxer, projectile thrower, stretchy Jedi master, hot chick with legs that go on for days, karate, masked Spaniard who jumps all over the place, any fighting style is in there. In case you were wondering, my favorite was Fei Long...well, actually Cammie because of the pigtails...but Fei Long is who I fought with most.

Playboy Mansion - PS2 - To be honest, I haven't even played this one much...but any game where you have to show your ID to purchase is pretty good in my book. Who doesn't want to be Hugh Hefner? Ladies, let it be known that you enjoy the Hef as much as the guys do. There's a reason that "Girls Next Door" is still on the air.

Anyway, that's about it. I don't really have any new news points or anything on this one...but maybe later tonight I'll come up with something. I'd hate to bore you to death with my questionnaires...but I have received a few of them recently. I've got it!!!

Tell Dr. Mookie Love what you want. He is here to serve you. The request lines are now open...and operators are standing by...

No comments:

Where should I go next?