Friday, July 27, 2007

Movie Reviews & Other News

Hi-diddily-ho neighborinos,


As you can probably guess by my greeting, I watched a midnight premiere show of "The Simpsons Movie" last night. It was kind of a last minute thing that my brother called me about a few hours earlier while I was watching "8MM". Now, THAT movie's a little messed up. Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled program. We went to Tinseltown theatres in Layton and despite showing up a half-hour early, my brother had sand in his shrinky-dink or something about being late, but I figured funk him & enjoyed myself. It was me, him, my sister-in-law, & a lady friend. All of which are Simpsons fans. Because I don't want to give too much away, it was a great movie, a little preachy at times, but then Homer would do something stupid & everyone would laugh hysterically. In true Harry Potter fashion, I am sorry to report that one MAJOR character is killed off in the movie...but luckily he gets to say goodbye before going. That's right, I said HE. Start guessing who it is. If you're looking for a great night out though, I would suggest taking your friends to see this movie. It's loaded with little extras for all the avid fans as well as the newcomers to the show.




Yesterday before work, I had a few hours so I rented "The Number 23" starring Jim Carrey in a dramatic thriller role. This movie was very interesting...but watching Ace Ventura play an investigator in the fantasy sequences was hard to stop from laughing though. It was a great thriller & I recommend renting it...but the movie will make you realize that EVERYTHING revolves around the Number 23...and it will blow your mind. Here are some things that I've found on my own research since watching this movie yesterday:
  • Basketball stars Michael Jordan AND LeBron James wear number 23 on their jerseys

  • How many friend requests on MySpace have I had that turned out to be sex offenders & had their profiles erased the other day? That's right, 23.

  • Lindsay Lohan's birthday is 7/2/86. 7+2+8+6=23

  • Take my favorite number (and one thing I'd like to do with Ms. Lohan) & divide it by the number of times that she's appeared on my blog. 69 / 3 = 23

  • I think it's obvious that we were meant to be together...but I'll continue

  • If I add up all my fingers, toes, twigs, & berries, then 10 fingers + 10 piggies + 1 grande + 2 coconuts = 23

  • Oh my GOD, today's date!!! 7/27/07 - 7+2+7+7 = 23!!! WE'RE ALL DOOMED!!!

Okay, so I thought the movie was a little bit of a stretch & that Jim Carrey's character was a little bit paranoid...but it's a great movie...and you'll love the ending. Go check it out. It gets the Dr. Mookie Love Stamp of Approval. Well done, Mr. Carrey. By the way, I had no idea that Virginia Madsen plays the Italian temptress Fabrizia in the movie. Damn, guys should check this movie out just for that stuff.

French Films - Also, over the past week or so, I finally realized that I had been watching a large number of French films (because I'm a movie geek). I think Jay Sherman said it best when he sang to the tune of Frare Jacques, "Iiiiii like French films, boring pretentious French films, Iiiiii like French films, un ticket s'il vous plait." I've always been a big fan of Luc Besson movies like Leon - The Professional & 5th Element and I added to that by watching the original "La Femme Nikita" the other day. It's a great action movie starring just about every French actor that you've ever seen in a bit role in a Hollywood movie...but if you've seen "Point of No Return" with Bridget Fonda, that's an EXACT Hollywood remake...just without subtitles. Still worth a watch though.

"Science of Sleep" - I really liked this new release about an artist, who like all artists out there, is a little crazy...okay, a lot crazy...but at least it keeps life interesting. It plays with a lot of themes about communication, dreams, imagination, love, lust, fantasies, doubt, fears, & all of the other stuff that breaks up the normal routines that most people live in.

"Brotherhood of the Wolf" - It's been around for a few years, but it's a classic French action movie set in the 18th century province of (unintelligible French noise) where the townspeople & livestock are being eaten by a mysterious beast. There's a lot of John Woo-esque slow motion ass whooping, great cinematography, & Monica Bellucci's bare naked body. What more could you ask for? I would like to thank an ex-girlfriend for introducing me to this movie. Great choice!!!

"Renaissance" - This one just came out on Tuesday for DVD. It's a mix of computer imaging with pure black & white drawings on a motion-captured subject...which basically makes it a visually mind-blowing experience set in 2047 France...but revoiced by the likes of Daniel Craig & Ian Holm. Think Blade Runner meets Sin City...and you're on the right path. It's another great detective thriller & it's visually stunning...if you're a movie geek like I am, check it out.


Anyway, I'm tired of talking about movie already. Let's get into some other stuff, shall we?

Sports News of the Day - This is great. So on HBO the other night, Bob Costas and a panel of experts & players were talking about Barry Bonds (as everybody is) and his chase of the home run record, steroids, & what sportscasters & players talk about before a worldwide audience. Apparently, Barry saw a few minutes of this show, didn't like it, and called Bob Costas a "little midget man who knows (nothing) about baseball" and I'm guessing that (nothing) is an explitive meaning feces.

Bob Costas was told about this...and being the witty definition of a broadcaster, didn't really take it personally because he realizes that Barry is under a lot of stress, but retorted "As anyone can plainly see, I'm 5-6 1/2 and a strapping 150, and unlike some people, I came by all of it naturally." OOOOOOOH SNAP!!! NO HE DIDN'T!!! NO HE DIDN'T!!! OOOOOOOH SNAP!!! YOU JUST GOT SERVED, BARRY!!! WOO WOOP, WOO WOOP!!! DON'T MESS WITH THE LITTLE PEOPLE!!! OH BOBBY BOY, YOU'RE MY HERO!!! Anyway, enough about that. I hope that Barry doesn't break the record...but it doesn't really matter...because a few years from now, A-Rod is going to shatter all of those records. Happy 32nd birthday to A-Rod!!! Wait, 32...that's 23 backwards...not again...

Oshkosh my Gosh - In lovely Oshkosh, Wisconsin an 11-year old boy named Austin was robbed last week while minding his small business - a lemonade stand. Allegedly (that word again), a 17-year old boy robbed him of a plastic container holding almost $20 in change. Austin was trying to raise money to go camping with the grandparents & get a birthday present for his mother, but then two teenagers riding by on bicycles walked up, punched him, shoved him to the ground, & snatched up the loot. Later on, police went to the robber's parent's house and found the container...but no money. People have been sending Austin $20 through the mail to replace the money...but I'm sure he's allowed to go camping with the family anyway. It just goes to show that random jacking of lemonade stands, ice cream trucks, girl scouts, the homeless, & trick-or-treaters isn't isolated to Detroit anymore. It has spread to neighboring states as well. This epidemic must be stopped...before it's too late. I, for one, move that these teenagers be punished to the full extent of the law...and spend 100 community hours working at a care center for the elderly...where they are forced to clean 'lemonade' that has been spilled on sheets, floors, & wherever else it ends up during the course of one's Golden Years. Just a suggestion...

MySpace News of the Day - Well, the 29,000 sex offenders found on MySpace a few days ago have all been evicted...and in doing so, half of my Friend Requests no longer have profiles...and I'm down to twelve friends currently. So please, if you're interested in joining my Kool Kid's Klub (the new & much improved Triple K, that welcomes all people including sex offenders apparently) drop me a friend request.

Video Game News - My brother called me last night all kinds of excited about this Rock Band game coming out on PS3 shortly. It's like the Guitar Hero games but with guitar, vocals, drums, & bass. You can go online & hold concerts for anybody who cares to listen. Somehow, I think it's supposed to teach you how to play a real guitar too...at least that's what they say. I'll stick to my acoustic for that though. I played the Guitar Hero at demo thing at Wal-Mart once...and it was pretty cool...and it would be interesting to have me & three of my bodies playing "Fat Bottom Girls" in the wee hours of the morning with something in our hands instead of Air Instruments, but we shall see if this is truly an entertaining format. I'm skeptical though. Then again, it may just be the way that my brother described it to me. I'm not sure.

Let's see, I've bored you enough with ramblings about movies & ditties about smack-talkin' sportscasters...but now I have to end it with something cool or funny or something, right? Well, I'm having a little trouble coming up with anything right now besides this wonderful foreign eye surgery commercial that I'm going to try to post on MySpace...since I have no idea how to put it on this blog. I just figured out the Link stuff today. Trust me, it's a good one though...and join me tomorrow when I think I'm going to talk about my adventures at the Living Planet Aquarium and if time permits, my favorite video games of all time. So until next time...have a great day!!!

No comments:

Where should I go next?