Thursday, July 5, 2007

Independence Day Theatrics

Happy Independence Week!!!

A lot of the great American pasttimes are celebrated during this time of year. Baseball games are played in the scorching heat while spectators enjoy cold flat beer, salted peanuts, & hot dogs floating in relish & various condiments. Children catch candy thrown at them by complete strangers riding a paper mache ship reading "Seaside High Seamen ROCK!!!" as preteens in short skirts do backflips & scream the same catchy slogan. However, those activities are too early and/or too hot usually for my tastes...especially not getting to sleep until 3 AM the night before (thanks bro). So with that in mind, I went to another holiday tradition...seeing a great action movie...this year, it was a 10 AM showing of "Transformers the Movie" with my brother & sister-in-law...but first, allow to reminisce about past movies.


It seems like just over a decade ago when I celebrated my first weekend as a working man by going to my local drive-in & watching "Independence Day" starring Bill "Lonestar" Pullman, the Fresh Prince & Harry Connick, jr. I was mildly surprised at first when I realized that it wasn't a musical but quickly became intrigued (Vivica Fox stripping) when the action hit the screen. It was a great memory for me...because it was a great movie, watched with my family, in the outdoors, and I felt like a Man...who just couldn't drive a car legally quite yet. Other summer blockbusters have come & gone over the years (mostly Marvel Comics brought to life) but that movie always seemed to stick with me. It has everything - rousing speechs, love stories, explosions, aliens, one-liners, space travel, secret military bases, anything that a great action movie needs. Now there's another movie that joins its ranks...


"Transformers" is without a doubt the coolest, most action-packed, entertaining car commercial of all time. It's even a pretty great movie too...especially based on the material. Michael Bay comes through (still not forgiven for "Pearl Harbor" but still...kudos). As far as my claim as the greatest car commercial, I only say that because they introduce the new lineup of GMC/Chevrolet vehicles...and I'm very excited that they're FINALLY bringing back the Camaro. They also had several other models like the Pontiac Solstice & GMC Yukon. Somebody paid a lot of money to finance this project...but I still enjoyed it emensely. Bills have to be paid. The special effects were amazing...in particular a chase scene on the freeway & the final battle. The movie's also loaded with a lot of little jokes & references for both new people to the material & avid cartoon nerds like myself.


By the way, it may just be me...but I think that the young girl in this movie (Megan Fox) may be a big star some day. It may just be her eyes hypnotizing me or something...but just keep an eye on her. Also, if you've watched the movie...and couldn't place the voice of Megatron...it's Hugo Weaving (Smith in the Matrix, V for Vendetta, etc.) but the voices are digitized & stuff...so don't feel bad. I know...it just sounded familiar. Anyway, I would recommend to anybody to go see this movie. I really enjoyed it...and I was skeptical...but I got over it. Now, I just have to wait another two years for the sequel. Ooops, did I say too much???



After the movie, I actually went & bought the PS3 game and it is quite entertaining as well. I'm usually not a big fan of the games like Gundam, Armored Core, Exo Squad, Zone of Enders, & all of those...but this is surprisingly different in some ways that I like. After playing for a few hours with my brother, we went up to my mom's with his family & enjoyed fireworks...another great holiday tradition. I've also included some pictures of my nieces Kairi & Kelaudri for your viewing pleasure. I hope that you enjoy.


This is Kelaudri, my 3-year old niece who I've seen twice now. She's got a cute smile...but she's painfully shy around me...but she's getting used to me.Here's what happens when you show a three-year old how to take a picture...and it gets switched around a little bit. This was supposed to be a picture of me...but I like this one better.Here's a picture of me with the two nieces, Kairi & Kelaudri. I'm the big one on the right with the dirt on my face and the eyes squinted. That's just how I look...it's not a particularly bad picture.Here are some pictures of our private fireworks display in the mountains of Eden. I thought they were kinda cool.


News of the Day - I just wanted to mention this clip because of the picture of this Zebrula (half horse/half zebra) named Eclyse. She was born on a ranch in Italy but has recently moved to Germany in search of work at the Safaripark. It is still under discussion whether she is an Italian hybrid animal, a photoshop hoax, or just a filly who enjoys her new hair dying kit...but scientists say that the first scenario is the most likely. Please enjoy!!!

Sometimes I wonder, "Am I smarter than a 5th grader?". I would like to think that I am...you know...because of the college education, personal experience, & ability to control the volume of my voice indoors. However, I wish there was a way where I could be absolutely sure...like a competition against a dozen of the finest 5th graders in a particular region. A Battle Royale of Wits...and multiplication tables. I will even expose my Achilles heel to any challengers - Reading Comprehension. Having said that, I welcome all challengers. Wait, perhaps I will pitch this idea to a major television studio...and they could even get one of those Blue Collar comedian guys to host it to play with that whole Southern stereotype. That would be entertaining, I think. However, I only represent the causasian male, 18-28, college educated demographic that watches TV about 3 hours per week (may be getting Comcast soon). I wonder what you all think about this idea. Please let me know.

Lucky Moment of the Day - What luck!!! My buddy Nikki was kind enough to give me a small package of Reese's Pieces. As if that wasn't a blessed occasion alone, I shook the bag for a little snackie poo at my desk...and what comes out but seven orange pieces of Reese. What are the odds of all seven pieces being the new black? One in 2,187. Those are some lofty odds...but I overcame them...and am rewarded with seven of the tastiest bits of culinary bliss imaginable. I may be getting lucky tonight overcoming those kind of odds...and I'll surely keep you posted...but the odds are very similar to the 1:2187. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

No comments:

Where should I go next?