Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Blind Dates in Hogswart

Good Afternoon Witches & Warlocks,


Welcome to another ramble about nothing...which is exactly what my opinion is worth...but I've heard that some people laugh at my rambles once in a while...so I continue. Please let me know if this information is in error. I enjoy feedback.


Blind Dates - Call me Quirky or Corky...but I kind of like Blind Dates. Being terribly shy & reserved but a genuinely nice guy (stop laughing), I tend to get set up on a lot of blind dates by friends, family, coworkers, and the like. I have yet to have a horrible blind date...or any horrible date for that matter (knock on wood), merely some awkward situations, like going to a wedding for a first blind date. However, some of the reasons I like them so much are:

  1. It's like being on a game show - You never know what hand you're going to be dealt & it's always fun to roll with the punches & see what happens. What will she think of me? Does she want smooth $teve or funny $teve? What will she look like? Which suitcase do I pick? Will she have a sense of humor? What kind of neuroses will she have? When should I used the lifelines? All these questions get me a little excited as I build up to the big day. Big money, no whammies. STOP!!!

  2. It shows you what your friends think about you - Depending on who they set you up with, you can tell if your friend thinks about your personality, physical appearance & hygeine, what you look for in the opposite sex, education level, interests, etc. or they may just set you up with a friend or acquaintance or coworker that just bugs the hell out of them...and now they want you to share in the experience.

  3. It's understood that there's a certain Speed Dating atmosphere about the whole situation - You can usually just have a drink or a meal or whatever, talk a little bit, laugh at eachother's jokes (if they're worthy), and when it's all done (or they keep answering their cell phone) you can call for the check, say your good nights, and if it went well...you can exchange information & possibly arrange for a future date...or never see that person again & wish them well in their search.

Some of you may be wondering why I'm talking about blind dates...and it's simple, I was kind of on one last night. A lady friend of mine told me several months ago that a friend of hers was eavesdropping on a text conversation that we were having (I was at work) and she thought I was funny. So the lady friend told her about me...and her friend kind of wanted to meet me. This was back in March...but with busy schedules, nothing was arranged until last night...when we went to see the new Harry Potter movie...in a group atmosphere involving myself and a total of four ladies. Nice! As I mentioned before...magic always makes the ladies happy.

We were introduced & she was a cutie, I'm not gonna lie about that. She was also very funny & smiled a lot. She was also an admitted Harry Potter nerd...but it came in handy, because as previously mentioned, I have never DREAMED of reading the books & have only seen the last two movies...but it's easy to tell who's a bad guy & all of that stuff. It's a kid's show. Whenever I had a question though, she was glad to help me out.

"So...is Gary Oldman a GOOD guy?"
"His name is Sirius Black in the movie...and yeah. He's Harry's Godfather."
"Oh, okay. I'm just so used to him playing a bad guy that I had to ask. Hey, who's the crazy witch there played by Helena Bonham Carter? I'm assuming that she's evil."
"Yeah, that's a Death Eater that Voldemorte broke out of Azkaban. She killed Weasley's parents 14 years ago & helped attack Dumbledore at Hogswart."
"......oh......so she's a bad guy. Nice. Hey, do you like Transformers?"

Apparently, she enjoyed my humor throughout the movie. All five of us had our comments for the screen. For example, "Hey, is it just me or has Harry Potter been working out? Look, you can see the veins in his arms." Or the scene where Harry was talking about feeling different and ANGRY all the time & he doesn't know why. "It's called Puberty!!! There's going to be hair growth too...but you're not going to become a werewolf." We all had a good laugh at Harry's expense...but he's not real...so it's all good.

This was also my first IMAX 3D movie experience. The final wizard battle in 3D was wicked awesome!!! I highly recommend it. When the movie ended it was after 1 AM, so we parted ways due to school & work in the morning...but it was great fun & I'm sure that we'll arrange for another meeting. Like I said, she was a cutie & we had a lot of fun in a group setting. Now, we can possibly try the one-on-one thing. Also, her friend that hooked us up called & said that she thought I was cute, funny, and of course......very tall. All very well may be true...but a great first impression was made on both ends. Yippee!!!


Random Thought of the Day - The Names of Santa's Reindeer, where did they come from? I had my own theories on this question (involving Kaisers, the Donner Party, & various other abstract ideas that I dare not speak in public)...so I thought that I'd look it up. Of course, the actual information was from Wikipedia, source of all information that is important...and more.





  • Dasher - The first reindeer and the right-hand leader of the sleigh before Rudolph was included. He is the speediest reindeer.

  • Dancer - The second reindeer and the left leader before Rudolph was included. She is the graceful reindeer.

  • Prancer - The third reindeer and on the right in the second row. He is the most powerful reindeer.

  • Vixen - The fourth reindeer and on the left-hand side in the second row. She is beautiful, and also powerful like her companion Prancer.

  • Comet - The fifth reindeer and on the right-hand side in the third row. He brings wonder and happiness to children when Santa flies over everyone's houses.

  • Cupid - The sixth reindeer and on the left-hand side in the third row. She brings love and joy to children when Santa flies over everyone's houses.

  • Donner - The seventh reindeer and on the right-hand side in the fourth row. His original name is Donder, meaning "thunder" in German.

  • Blitzen - The eighth reindeer and on the left-hand side in the fourth row. Though female, she is frequently portrayed as a male in American pop culture. Her original name is Blixem. She is known as the lightning reindeer because the word 'Blitz' is German for lightning.

For more information, feel free to read about the interesting history of Santa's Reindeer. Anyway, that's probably enough for today. Have a groovy night!!!

No comments:

Where should I go next?