Saturday, March 29, 2008

Night at the Theatre

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

Well, the symphony last night was magnificent. After spending the day drinking fluids and watching "Battlestar Galactica: Razor" (by the way, lesbians + robots = awesome), I met up with JL Clyde for a night in downtown Slick City...and to get our culture on. We walked around downtown for about an hour past Temple Square and a lot of things that I hadn't really walked past in a long, long, long time. There's this little house right in the heart of downtown...and my thought was, "I have been here. When I was a kid. This house is important for some reason" and then I read a sign that said it was Brigham Young's old crib. "Oh, cool. Kinda small for a few dozen wives though, isn't it?" Here are some pictures of the area...
I guess it's because we're the Beehive State...
Utah's State Bird - The California Bull

We arrived at the beautiful Abrevanel Hall and the mix of theatre goers was tremendous. There were a few people over the age of forty, who were obviously there because they had season tickets, dressed to the nines, and looking around at all the young whipper-snappers filling their prestigious hall. The vast majority though, were the 18-30 demographic with expendable income who may or may not still live in their parent's basement and have at least one Warcraft account and four Final Fantasy games.
I'm guessing it's that Chihuly guy...
Abravenel Hall - A Wonderful Symphony Hall
Costume Contest Finalists
Mario, some dude, some chick, Mage, Feather
Hat Guy, some other chick, and that guy
Mini Mario & Luigi, hot announcer, some dude too
serious about his Trigun outfit, Chun Li, Princess Daisy,
and...Strawberry Shortcake?
Your winner...Chun Li!!!
Somebody knows what daddy likes...

Now, I've played a few video games in my day...definitely a lot more about a decade ago before I started working & going to school full-time. However, JL Clyde & I were completely out of our element. Half of the games they played music for (the newer ones), I had no idea what they were talking about. What's "Advent Rising"? Tommy Tallerico was the master of ceremonies...and fittingly enough, his wardrobe was a formal jacket with Spiderman undershirt...and some flashy red & silver sneakers...oh, and a shirt that played Pong briefly. Needless to say, they started just about every segment with "We're gonna do things a little differently..." just in case we forgot that this was called Video Games Live. The symphony was incredible...and they had a guest pianist who made himself famous by playing Super Mario Brothers themes blindfolded on YouTube. He was amazing. They played themes from Zelda to Kingdom of Hearts to Metal Gear Solid to Castlevania...and I can't believe how NUTS people went when they introduced Warcraft & Kingdom of Hearts. It was tremendously entertaining alone.
Yes, that's Donkey Kong on the screen
This guy was doing live action Space Invaders.

Afterwards, we walked around Temple Square again. It's a gorgeous place. Very romantic at night. Then we met up with Filly and hung out with her for a few hours before I headed home.

"You're so stiff. Relax... Relax..."
Thanks for being a nerd with me, Ms. Clyde.

Tonight, Bubbles & I are going to the Utah Blaze game for some Saturday Night Arena Football. It should be a lot of fun...and my voice is fully recovered from the symphony last night. Never thought I'd say that before...but that's what life's about, right? New experiences...and I definitely recommend checking out this Video Games Live if you get a chance. That's really all I've got right now...but tune in tomorrow for some badass photos from the game...and a few surprises as always. Have a great night everybody!!!

6 comments:

j.l. clyde said...

thank you.

Girl In A Gi said...

If they had played 'Burger Time' I would have schooled them...

Alisa said...

How's it make you feel that the statue lady is taller than you? Chun Li won, AWESOME!! I need to learn how to sew because video game people are a good Halloween idea.

$teve said...

JL Clyde, my pleasure.

P-Monkey, I know how you feel. I was waiting for them to play Metroid...but alas, they didn't. Oh well, maybe next year...

Alisa, I like tall women (or short women or red women or blue women...) and besides, she was on a little pedestal too. If I had hopped up on there...it would have made for a slightly more interesting photo...but the child may have been scared. :)

j.l. clyde said...

actually dr. mookie... chun li did not win... that creepy sorcerer guy did, remember?

$teve said...

She got my vote!!! That's what counts. The Mage won nothing!!!

Where should I go next?