Saturday, March 1, 2008

Stay Classy, Slick City!!!

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

Welcome to March!!! It's a little blustery outside right now…but hopefully I'll work my way into this month like a lamb and cum like a lion by the end of it. That's how the saying goes, right? I never really understood why they taught children about that in school…but whatever. Tax dollars at work, I guess. Well, I'm all packed up and ready to go to sunny southern California for a week with the Wingmans…but first, I have to work…so I thought during the downtime I'd fill you in on a few movies that I saw yesterday after all my running around…and not really having much to do on a Friday night…as usual. (Deep sigh) First off though, I'd like to thank Mickey & the Mad Scientist again for making Easter Weekend in Vegas possible (or as I may later refer to it, Bunny Day at the Bunny Ranch) and congratulate Bubbles & JJ on their new positions…wishing them both the best in their journeys…and hoping that they don't forget about my goofy ass. I'd also like to congratulate the Eagles on signing the NFL's best cornerback Asante Samuel yesterday…and hope that they'd do the right thing…and go after another Patriot free agent by the name of Randy Moss. Can't afford him? Don't care. At least make the call…then let Fate decide. The worst he can say is no. If so, go after a receiver in the draft…and a few lineman in free agency or something. You're on the right path though. Go Eagles!!! I'd also like to wish legendary basketball coach and philosopher John Wooden a speedy and complete recovery from his fall. I realize that he's 97 years old…but he's a great man…and great men should live to be a thousand years old, in my humble opinion. Best of luck to you, Coach.


After a lot of laundry & running around to make sure I was ready for a week-long road trip, I sat down and watched "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" starring Brad Pitt, Casey Affleck, and Sam Rockwell. It's actually a very well done western drama…and Brad Pitt does a great job portraying a Eastwood-esque middle aged gunslinger / American folk hero Jesse James who's reevaluating his life & priorities…while Casey Affleck is the young gun Robert Ford who grew up admiring Jesse James…and now wants to join his gang. It's a great flick with surprisingly complex characters for a western. You may want to check it out if you're into the whole character development thing. However, if you're just looking for gun battles, brothels, and bar brawls, this isn't a movie for you. Brad Pitt even has a Grizzly Adams beard to cover his chiseled features. It's an actor's movie. You've been warned. It's also really intriguing that Jesse James during that time was a bigger celebrity than the President or anybody else of that era. Why? Everybody loves the Bad Guy. Think of him as the Tony Montana of the 1880's…only Jesse James really existed (though it might be a little exaggerated). Does anybody remember who killed Scarface? The dude with the shades and the shotgun, right? Is there ONE person out there with that guy's image on their wall? Did anybody pay to see Robert Ford's frozen corpse at Barnum & Bailey circus? No, but they did for Jesse James. Hugh Hefner is basically a charismatic perverted playboy who makes BILLIONS off the images of naked women…and yet we all love the guy…because he's the Bad Guy image…in a robe. Anyway, just something to think about, I guess.


Next up was a movie that was recommended to me by Pleatherface a few weeks back when I ranted about Event Horizon. It's called "Sunshine" and it's kind of a mix of "Event Horizon", "The Core", and "Apollo 13" along with a few others. It's set in the fairly near future…and the sun is dying. That whole global warming thing isn't happening, quite the opposite actually…and they send a ship loaded with a giant nuclear bomb payload to ignite within the sun to restart it (I'm not a quantum physicist…but I don't think that'd really work…even if it's the size of Manhattan…but whatever, "The Core" had the same thing). The first mission fails…and then six years later, they send another ship with a similar payload. Sixteen months into the journey, they hear a distress signal from the first mission (ever seen "Event Horizon"?) so they decide to go check it out…primarily because they still have their bomb with them. However, then things start going wrong…as they do in space. I'm not going to spoil it any more…but it's actually a very well done movie with fairly deep characters, complex situations, but don't be surprised if you find yourself yelling at the screen a few times with some of the decision that they make (logic plays a big part). It was directed by Danny Boyle ("Trainspotting" & "28 Days Later") and stars Cillian Murphy ("28 Days Later") and Chris Evans ("Fantastic Four", "Cellular", and my personal fav, "Not Another Teen Movie") among others. I would recommend checking it out. I liked it MUCH better than Event Horizon…yet it has a lot of similarities. Maybe that's why I didn't hear of it when it came out last year…some kind of mental block. Thanks for the suggestion, Pleatherface!!!


As my loneliness continued (sigh), I decided to watch one more movie before going to bed…and it was "We Own the Night" starring Joaquin Phoenix ("Gladiator"), Marky Mark ("Boogie Nights"), Eva Mendes ("Ghost Rider"), and Robert Duvall. It's a cop drama and was pretty good…but by the end of the movie, there are basically two morals: Family is everything…and don't f**k with the Russian Mafia. Along the way though, there are some great intense scenes. I was particularly impressed with the car chase scene in the rain with just how it was shot realistically. Other than that, it was a pretty cookie cutter cop drama…but if you're into those, feel free to check it out.


Well, I don't really have much else to say at this point…so I think I'll sign off. Wish me luck on my journey…and I'll catch up with y'all with pictures & stories when I get back next week. Have a great time yourselves…and remember to tell your loved ones how much they mean to you. Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease...

4 comments:

JLee said...

I may check out the Jesse James flick. I think he shares my birthday incidentally?

Have a safe trip!

katie said...

steve! love your blog...can you help me figure out how i add your blog to my blog???

$teve said...

Jlee, that is awesome. You should check it out then. I made it safely here despite Mother Nature's best efforts...but more on that when I'm back. Just checking up on work stuff real quick before hot tubbing.

Katie, send me an email and I'll gladly tell you step by step how to do it. Basically, it's adding a List to your page's configuration...but I'll gladly help you out.

Have a great night ladies!!! See ya in a few days...but first, I'm just enjoying my week in Heaven. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Where should I go next?