Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Uneventful Day?

Well, I decided to take the day off...as I seldom do...but today seemed like a good day to do it...even though it's a little chilly for this time of year...but I like it that way. I arose this morning & watched a few episodes of Family Guy while making myself breakfast (eggs with pepper jack cheese & peppered bacon since you asked) to wake up & get ready for the day's events...unfortunately, there really wasn't any...but here's what happened anyway.


Around 11 AM, my mail arrives for the day & I'm very excited. Thanks to Blockbuster taking the great idea of Netflix & putting it to their already established infrastructure...I am able to receive movies THROUGH THE MAIL then exchange them at Blockbuster stores or mail them back. I know, you've seen the commercials...but this is for the people reading my blog in Asia, South America, & Africa where Blockbusters are the guys that make gravel down at the quarry. What an age we live in. GASP!!! There has been a mistake.


It was supposed to be the documentary on blaxploitation movies titled "Baaadasssss Cinema" (the 'extra' letters are for the extra badass found in every film for a margin of the price). By the way, I'm one of the very few European Mutts of the world who have a collection of movies including Dolemite, American Pimp, the Mack, Foxy Brown, Jackie Brown, various Shafts, among others...so I dig the black cinema of the 70's (yes, I know Jackie Brown is late 90's but it's Quentin Tarantino...and he's yet to do me wrong yet...GO SEE GRINDHOUSE). So I was disappointed that in this paid postage envelope is a movie entitled "Baaadasssss!" about the making of the Citizen Kane of blaxploitation, "Sweet Sweetback's Baaadasssss Song." Normally, this would be a pleasant surprise, but my Wingman & I rented it a week earlier (based on title alone) and it was a great movie...but a definite one-time. Also, this was the second time in the last week where this mistake was made...so I walked to my nearest Blockbuster to exchange it. Along the way, my brother calls me & we talk for about 45 minutes about how cool his PSP is & how it works with his PS3 & how I should get one too.



Apocolypto came out today...and it's well worth a see if you're a fan of action movies...especially those like Braveheart, 300, Troy, etc. Sure, you see the main character Jaguar Paw do a slow-motion long jump so many times that you'd swear you were watching Jean Claude Van Damme doing a spinning back kick or the splits in one of this movies...but it's still cool. To get you in the mood for it, think of the last few scenes of "Last of the Mohicans" and imagine that action, fighting, & overall bad-assery for over two hours. Is there blood? You betcha. Swearing? It's all subtitles. It's a Mel Gibson movie. If your kids can read that fast, they deserve a little treat of a curse word. Is there sex? There's nudity (if you've ever been in the humid rain forest, you'd know why) and no sex at all. In fact, there's jokes made at the expense of others about their sexual performance. So yes, it's rated R...but check it out anyway. You know you want to. Besides, it's fucking historical...sort of. My only complaint is the twist ending where the alien robots came in & wiped out the Mayan empire...and all this time Mel Gibson had me convinced that it was the Jews. However, I guarantee that if you watch this movie on a projector screen like I did, by the end, you'll want to run around your apartment complex wearing nothing but a towel & a ferocious warrior look on your face. Also, check out your local news tonight to see pictures & footage of that...and please pay detail to the self-drawn tattoos over the torso & let me know what you think.

Now, I'm checking my email & blogging (which sounds painful) while listening to Smokey Robinson's greatest hits. Later tonight, I'm going to hang out with my dad, watch the Spurs beat the Jazz in Game 2 of the NBA Western Finals (and the Draft Lottery), and eat bratwurst. By the way, if you're a big fan of brats (not that Saturday morning show turning future generations of women into materialistic idiots, but bratwursts) then there's this place called Colosimo's Sausage out in Magna & Sandy that makes the best brats this side of Deutschland. Check them out...and tell them that Steve sent you...and give him the website so that I can tell them wear to send the free sausages...then we can have a cookout for Wingman & Brown Bear's wedding. It'll be awesome. See? I'm all about sharing the wealth. After the game, I'll probably send a few dirty text messages to my girlfriend. She's been a little ill the past few days, so we'd really appreciate it if you sent out a prayer or something for her. Anyway, that's about it. Have a great day & I'll catch up with you tomorrow maybe. Peace!!!

No comments:

Where should I go next?